On This Page:
The Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst service provides a simple, secure way to share and store files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as Dropbox, Box can directly integrate with existing UMass Amherst systems such as your user account for single sign-on with your NetID. Your Box account quota is unlimited.
The Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst service is cloud storage. Cloud storage is a term used for an online service that allows you to store digital data (e.g., photos, music, documents) in "the cloud" (online) instead of on your computer. When a file is stored in the cloud, you can access that file from any device that has an Internet connection and access to that particular cloud storage service.
Common examples of files being stored in the cloud include:
- Pictures on Flickr, Instagram, or Facebook
- Videos on YouTube
- Resources on Moodle
- Music streaming on Pandora
- Files on Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst
Cloud storage simplifies accessing files on your mobile device, laptop, desktop, and wherever else you access your files. Additionally, you no longer need to worry about losing flash drives or other storage devices since the cloud can serve as an off-site backup.Important: Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst can be used for storing or sharing most types of university data, using certain additional security measures, including some data that that is considered sensitive data. For specific information see Understand Sensitive Data at UMass Amherst. For information about the different types of sensitive data see Data Classification at UMass Amherst. For information about what data can be stored in Box, see What types of data are appropriate for my Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst account?
- View files of many types, including images and audio/video
- Access content through all major web browsers (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and through mobile devices running iOS and Android
- Edit Microsoft Office files directly and securely within the Box browser interface
- Share files and folders while controlling the level of access others have, with a range of permissions from view-only to full editing and collaboration rights
- Attach notes to files and folders
- Create simple workflows using assigned tasks
- [Optional by request] Sync files between your desktop and other devices, and access them offline
Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst accounts are available to all current students, faculty, and staff.
For role account eligibility, see How can I create a group (non-individual) Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst account?
- Getting started with Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst
- Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst Help Menu
- For Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst, where can I get help?
- How do I securely set up my Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst account?
- Best practices for Secure Online at UMass Amherst
- What kinds of tasks can I accomplish with my Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst account?
Box is a commercial online content storage, sharing, and collaboration service offering Personal Box accounts to the public since 2005. Box is part of the Internet2 NET+ Services program that provides "above the network" services to Internet2 member organizations, including higher education, government, and industry. Internet2 chose Box after reviewing many storage and file management services.
Box and Internet2 have partnered to provide enterprise (university-wide) Box service to Internet2 member institutions that are also InCommon subscribers. UMass Amherst piloted the Box service for one year prior to developing it as a full service.
Best practices for Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst
For Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst, where can I get help?
How does Secure Online Storage compare to other storage solutions?
Comparing Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst and Personal Box accounts