The Navigation tray and My courses block in Moodle automatically list all courses that are available to an instructor. In the Navigation tray, courses available to students are in shown black and have a mortarboard icon (). Courses which are available to instructors, but hidden from students will be grey and have an eye icon with a slash (). On the My courses block, courses available to students are listed under My courses.
To access your courses, click the name of the course in the Navigation tray or My courses block.
Note: There are a number of reasons a course might be hidden from students:
- New Moodle courses are initially hidden from students. UMass IT opens courses according to the following release schedule:
- If a course is requested before the start of Preview Week are automatically released to students at the start of Preview Week.
- If a course is requested during Preview Week, it will be released to students the business day before the semester starts.
- If requested after the business day before the semester starts, instructors must release the course to students themselves.
- After the close of the semester, UMass IT makes courses unavailable to students.
- The instructor could have set the course to be hidden/unavailable.
To release a Moodle course or hide it from students, see Make Your Moodle Course Available to Students.
To release a course to an individual student so that they can work on an Incomplete, see Assign Roles to Individuals in your Moodle Course.
If you do not see your course listed as either hidden or available to students, make sure that you have requested the course in SPIRE (you must request Moodle courses each semester you will teach them), and that it is ready to use (you will receive an email when the course has been created).