On This Page:
The Upcoming events and Calendar blocks help your students keep track of upcoming due dates and events in your course. Both blocks are linked to the Calendar which is automatically updated when activities with due dates (e.g., assignments or quizzes) are added to a course.
- The calendar is preloaded with important university-wide dates.
- Instructors can manually create events for an entire course, for a specific group of students, or for themselves.
- Any Moodle user, including students, can create personal Calendar events which will be visible only to them.
The Upcoming events block lists Moodle Activities with due dates and manually-created calendar events that will happen within the next twenty days.
Events or activities that are currently hidden to students are not listed.
The Upcoming events block is added to every Moodle course by default. To add the Upcoming events block to your course page, see Add & Remove Blocks in Moodle.
Note: The Upcoming events block does not require that the Calendar block also be added to the course page.
Using the Upcoming events block:
- To open an activity, click its name.
- To view an event's page in the Calendar, click the date.
- To view the Calendar fullscreen, click Go to calendar....
- To manually add a new event, click New event. The New event page will open (see Add Events to the Calendar, below).
The Calendar block displays a small version of the current month's calendar. Events and due dates are color-coded to distinguish course events from University-wide, Group, or personal (User) events.
The Calendar block is added to every Moodle course page by default. Instructors can add the Calendar block to a course page (see Add & Remove Blocks in Moodle), and anyone can add the Calendar block to their My Home page (see Keep Track of Due Dates and Scheduled Activities in Moodle).
Using the Calendar block:
- To move the month forward & backward, click the right and left arrows at the top of the block.
- To view a pop-up listing all events for a day, hover over the highlighted day.
- To view the details for an event or activity, hover over a day, then, in the pop-up, click an event name.
- To view the full Calendar, and manually add events, click the name of the Month.
When due dates are set from within an activity such as an assignment they are automatically added to the Calendar. Not all activity types automatically add due dates to the Course calendar, but users can manually add events, or import events from an external calendar system such as Google Calendar (see Import or Subscribe to External Calendars in Moodle.)
To add events manually:
- To create a new calendar event:
• In the Upcoming events block, click New event... (at bottom).
- or -
• In the Calendar block, click the month title, and when the Calendar opens, click New event (top-right).
The New event page will open.
- Select the type of event (Course, Group, or User). Anyone can create a user event, but only instructors can create Course or Group events.
Note: To create a Group event, groups must already be set up in a course. After selecting Group as the type of event in the Group event field, select the specific group.
- In the Event title field, enter a name for the event.
- (Optional) In the Description field, enter a brief description of the event.
- For Date, select the date and start-time for the event.
- Click Save changes and the course calendar will open displaying the new event.
If you want to use another calendar service to keep track of your personal calendar, it is possible to export calendar events from Moodle then import them into your personal calendar program. Moodle exports the calendar in iCal format (.ics), which is compatible with Apple's iCalendar, and can also be imported into Microsoft Outlook and Google Calendar.
Note: Because Moodle requires authentication, it is not possible to subscribe to a Moodle Calendar from an outside calendaring tool such as Outlook, Apple Calendar or Google Calendar. When exporting from a Moodle calendar, only current events will be exported. The calendar will need to be exported again to update new events.
To export the calendar in Moodle:
- Open the Calendar in Moodle (either through the Upcoming Events or Calendar blocks).
- At the bottom of the Calendar page, click Export calendar. The Export page will open.
- Select the export options, including the events you would like to include and the timeframe. To export all events for your course, including personal and university-wide events select All events and Recent and next 60 days. Click Export. You will be prompted to download an iCal (.ics) file.
Note: Alternately, you can export your calendar using a unique URL, which might make it easier for certain calendar programs. Click Get calendar URL, and the page will refresh showing a URL that you can then copy.
- Import this file (or copy the unique URL) to your personal calendar.