When teaching a course with multiple sections, especially when a course has a large number of students, using groups in conjunction with the gradebook makes it much easier to filter student data. Multi-section courses automatically have groups created for each section, which you can use in addition to, or instead of, your own custom groups.
To use group filtering in your gradebook, group mode needs to be enabled in your course settings.
- On your course page, select the Course Management button (black gear icon , top right). Under Course Settings, click Edit course settings. The Edit course settings page will open.
- Click the Groups heading to view and adjust group settings.
- From the Group mode drop-down menu, select either Separate groups or Visible groups.
Note: It does not matter which mode you use for viewing the Gradebook by group, but your choice will become the default when adding new activities to the course. For a description of both of these modes, refer to Group Modes in Moodle.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save changes.
If you need to create your own custom groups, see Create & Modify Groups in Moodle.
To view grades for specific groups or sections in your course:
- On your course page, select the Course Management button (black gear icon , top right). Under Grading, click Grader report. The Grader report page will open.
- At the top of the Grader report, from the Separate/Visible groups drop-down menu (left), select a group name. Your gradebook will refresh to show only the students in that group.
Note: You will not see this menu unless group mode is enabled for your course (see Enable Group Mode above).
- To return to showing all students, select All participants from the Separate/Visible groups drop-down menu.