Announcing Moodle 3.1
On Thursday, July 13, 2017, UMass Amherst IT upgraded Moodle at UMass Amherst from version 3.0 to version 3.1.
Here's what to watch for:
- Easier Section Editing
You can now edit Section titles without leaving the Course page, just as you can now do with Activity names.
- Layout for Viewing and Grading Assignments
You'll see a new, roomier layout when grading individual Assignment submissions.
- Download Selected Assignment Submissions
On the Assignment grading page, you can now select which Assignment submissions to download for offline viewing from a new option in the With selected… menu.
- “Pin” Forum Discussions
Important forum posts can now be pinned to the top of discussion lists (made “sticky”), making them more visible to your students.
- Easily Link to Forum Posts
The new permalink feature makes it easy to share useful forum posts.
- Workshop Activity Enhancements
When setting up a Workshop activity, you can now specify the file types you want students to submit. Also, students can now delete their own submissions.
- Bulk Download the Files in a Folder as a Zip File
When a Folder resource contains many files, students can now download them all in a zipped file.
- The "Annotate PDF" feature in Moodle Assignments is no longer available.
To annotate submissions, use a Turnitin Assignment, and use Turnitin's Quickmark feature to comment directly on student submissions.
- The News Forum is now called "Announcements."
In courses requested after the upgrade, the News Forum is now named Announcements. (The upgrade did not rename News Forum activities in courses requested before the upgrade.)
- The Participants page is no longer be available.
- To view course enrollment, on the Administration block, go to Users > Enrolled users.
- To email students, use the Quickmail block.
- To leave comments for students, use feedback within an activity, and/or gradebook (text) feedback.
- Respondus software has been be discontinued.
The Respondus Quizzing & Studymate desktop Windows applications are no longer available for download and will no longer connect directly to Moodle (Respondus will still be available for Blackboard users).
- To import questions use the Import Quiz Questions to Moodle Using the Aiken Format.
- To export questions see: Export Quiz Questions from Moodle.
If you are an instructor with questions about the upgrade or need help setting up Moodle courses, refer to our Support Center Articles or contact the Instructional Media Lab at (413) 545-2823, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full Upgrade Release Notes
For full details see the release notes for Moodle 3.1 from Moodle Headquarters. (You can also view release notes for Moodle 3.1.1 through 3.1.5 on moodle.org.)
Note: Some features described on moodle.org (for example, blogs, messaging, and self enrollment) are not available on Moodle at UMass Amherst.