On This Page:
Moodle makes it easy to keep track of online discussions in your courses using email notifications when you are "subscribed" to a forum. This page shows you how to control these notifications and prevent your inbox from being flooded with too many messages.
There are two places where you need to keep track of your email notification settings. Your User Preferences control settings for all of your classes. In most cases, you should be able to choose whether or not to subscribe to a forum and receive email notifications, but depending on your instructor's settings, you may not be able to change the subscription mode. For example, in most courses you cannot opt out of receiving emails when your instructor posts to the Announcements (News Forum).
Every Moodle user has the ability to control how they receive email notifications from Moodle. To customize these settings:
- At the top right of your course page, click your name or user icon, and from the User menu drop-down, select Preferences . Your Preferences page will open.
- On your Preferences page, under User account, click Forum preferences. Your Forum preferences page will open.
- On your Forum preferences page, from the Email digest type drop-down, select how Moodle will send notifications when you are following discussions. You have the following options:
- No digest (single email per forum post) (default)
- Complete (daily email with full posts)
- Subjects (daily email with subjects only)
- From the Forum auto-subscribe drop-down menu, select how you will follow discussion forums:
- No: don't automatically subscribe me to forum discussions (default) Recommended.
- Yes: When I post, subscribe me to that forum. Not recommended; you will receive an email notification whenever a post is made to any forum you contribute to.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save changes.
If your instructor has set the subscription mode for a forum to be optional, you can choose whether or not to receive email notifications. You can also choose to subscribe to individual topics in a forum discussion, as opposed to receiving emails for all topics in that forum. This can be especially useful in forums with multiple discussion topics where you only need to follow particular topics.
Change your subscription mode for an entire forum
- Open the forum, and select the gear icon () at top-right and select from the following options:
• Subscribe to this forum to receive emails when a post is added to any discussion topic in the forum.
• Unsubscribe from this forum if you do not want to receive emails when a post is added to any discussion topic in the forum.
Change your subscription mode for a discussion topic within a forum
- Open the forum. Discussion topics will be listed on the Forum page.
- For the discussion topic you would like to subscribe to or unsubscribe from, either use the toggle switch in the Subscribe column or select the Discussion title you are interested in. The Discussion page will open.
- On the Discussion page, select Settings (at top-right), then select one of the following options:
- Subscribe to this discussion to receive emails when a post is added to this topic
- Unsubscribe from this discussion if you do not want to receive emails when a post is added to this topic.
- At the bottom of a forum email notification sent from Moodle, click Unsubscribe from this forum, Unsubscribe from this discussion, or Change your forum digest preferences. You will be sent to Moodle (you may need to log in).
- If you chose to unsubscribe from a forum or discussion, you will be asked to confirm your choice. Click Continue to unsubscribe and stop receiving email notifications.
If you chose to change your forum digest preferences, you will be taken to a page listing all the each Forum activities in the course. For each forum, under Email digest type, click the Pencil icon to open the digest menu and select No digest, Complete posts, or Subjects only.
(Digests let you receive daily collected notifications, rather than emails for every post and are set in your User preferences. See Manage Forum Notifications through Your User Preferences above.)
Note: If you do not see a link to unsubscribe, your instructor has set subscription for the forum to Forced subscription, and you cannot unsubscribe.