When first requested, Moodle courses are hidden from students.
- If requested in advance of the semester, Moodle courses are automatically released to students one business day prior to the first day of classes.
- If requested after the release date at the beginning of the semester, Moodle courses are not automatically released and must be made available to students by the instructor.
- A few weeks after the end of the semester, Moodle courses are automatically hidden from students.
Instructors can hide courses that are not ready for use (after the automatic release date), or open courses prior to the beginning of the semester.
Note: We do not recommend re-opening a course after the close of the semester because it can confuse students. If you have a student working on an Incomplete you do not need to re-open a past semester's course (which would make it show in the My Courses navigation for all students who had been enrolled in the class). Rather, you can give a particular student the role of Student with Incomplete and allow them special access to the course (see Assign Roles to Individuals in your Moodle Course).
Use the Course Management Panel to Change your Course Visibility
- On your Moodle course page, select Course Management (black gear icon , top right), the Course Management panel will open.
- On the Course Management panel, under Course Settings, select Edit course settings. The Edit course settings page will open. (click to enlarge)
- On the Edit course settings page, under General, for Course visibility, select Hide or Show.
- Click Save and display.