On This Page:
Instructors can add an External Tool configured to connect to course materials hosted by UMass Amherst Libraries Reserves. As of November 2, 2017, this method replaces the UMass Libraries Course Materials block previously available in Moodle at UMass Amherst.
Once configured, the External tool link from your Moodle course page will embed your Library Reserves Course Materials page within a page in Moodle. (It is not currently possible to link from Moodle directly to individual Reserve items.)
Note: To ensure that your Course Materials are correctly linked to your Moodle course, only users with the Teacher role can configure this External Tool.
To add and configure a UMass Libraries Course Materials External Tool:
- On your course page, click Turn editing on (green pencil icon , top right). Editing icons and links will appear.
- Locate the Section where you will add a link to your UMass Libraries Course Materials (if you are using the Collapsed topics format, expand the section).
Note: For easy access, we recommend placing the link in the top section of your course.
- At the bottom-right of the section click + Add an activity or resource. The Activity chooser will open.
- On the Activity chooser, select External tool.
- Click Add. The Adding a new External tool page will open.
- In the Adding a new External tool page, for Activity name, enter UMass Library Course Materials.
- From the Preconfigured tool drop-down, select UMass Library Course Materials.
- All other settings are optional. Click Save and return to course (at bottom of page).
After adding and configuring the External tool, the first time you open the link, you will be asked to create a course in the UMass Amherst Libraries Course Reserves system. You will then add your course materials to your Reserves course.
- On your course page, click the UMass Libraries Course Materials link you just created. The Library Reserves system page will open.
- On the Library Reserves System page, from the drop-down menu at the top-left, select the semester the course will be taught.
- Click Create Course (at right). This will create a course within the Library Reserves system (Ares).
- To add materials, in the Instructor Course Tools menu (at left), select Add Reserve Items. You can upload files, request new library items (physical, or digital, including streaming media), or reactivate digital reserves from a past semester.
(click to enlarge)
For more about Course Reserves, see Information for Instructors UMass Libraries Course Materials and UMass Amherst Library Reserves’ F.A.Q. for Instructors.