Drag and drop onto image questions require students to drag and drop an image or text onto a background image to a preset location. You will define Drop zones which determine whether or not a student is correct. For example, a question might ask a student to drag and drop labels onto a diagram to illustrate a process.
Drag and drop onto image questions are different from Drag and drop marker questions in a number of significant ways. The biggest difference is that in Drag and drop onto image questions, the drop zones are visible to students. Also, answers can be grouped into sets
Create a New Drag and Drop onto Image Question
- On your course page, in the Administration block, under Course Administration, click Question bank. The Question bank page will open showing the questions in the Default category for the course you are in.
- From the Select a category drop-down, select the question category in which you wish to store the new question. If you change categories, the page will refresh to list the questions already in that category.
- Click Create a new question.... The Choose a question type to add dialog opens.
- Select Drag and drop onto image and click Add. The Adding drag and drop onto image page will open.
- In the Question name field, enter a descriptive name. This will make it easy to identify the question in the question bank.
Note: The question name is not visible to students.
- In the Question text field, enter instructions for your students. For example, the question text might read, "This is a world map. Drag each label to the corresponding country".
- Set the Default points for this question (i.e. the maximum number of marks for this question).
- Under Preview, either drag and drop the file for the background image you want to use, or click Choose a file... to use the file picker to select the background image. A preview will appear.
Note: The Preview image will be resized to a maximum of 400 pixels high x 600 pixels wide.
- Under Draggable items:
- (Optional) To set answers to shuffle, select Shuffle drag items each time question is attempted.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select Draggable image or Draggable text. (If you select text, the file upload interface is removed for that item.)
- (Optional) To divide answers into groups and have each group's drop zones colored differently, from the Group drop-down menu, select the group number the item will belong to. The default is Group 1.
- To allow students to use an answer more than once, select the Unlimited checkbox. (In this case the draggable item will not be removed from the answer bank below the image after a student uses it, making the question more challenging.)
- For Draggable text enter the text that will be dragged and dropped. HTML tags are limited to: <sub>, <sup>, <b>, <i>, <em>, <strong>, and <br />.
- For Draggable images, either drag and drop the image file you want to use onto the blue upload arrow, or click Choose a file... and use the file picker to select and upload the image. Also enter a text label (students do not see this but the text will help you identify the drop zone in the next step).
Note: The maximum dimensions for draggable images is 150 x 100 pixels. Larger images will be scaled on import.
- Under Drop zones you will define the area within the background image onto which a draggable item may be dropped for a match using top-left coordinates.
Note: You do not need to enter Top and Left values values yourself; once you select a draggable item to match each Drop zone, the Draggable items will appear below the Preview image and you can drag them into the correct position on the background image.
For each Drop zone:
- From the Draggable item drop-down menu (at right), select the item that matches the Drop zone.
- Scroll to the top of the page and click Refresh preview. In the Preview area at the top of the page, draggable item(s) will appear below the preview image.
- Drag the draggable item onto the Preview image where you want the Drop zone for that item.
- (Optional) To use adaptive mode or immediate feedback with multiple tries, under Multiple tries, adjust penalties or feedback.
- To preview the question and ensure it works as expected, click Save changes and continue editing, then scroll to the bottom of the page click Preview. The question will open in a new window.
- Try out the question, and then close the Preview window to return to the question set up page. Edit the question if needed and repeat.
- When finished, click Save changes. You will be returned to the Question bank category selected in step 2.