On This Page:
Moodle allows you to delay the release of students' grades manually, or at a scheduled time. This can be useful if you are grading assignments over a series of days and want all students to see their grades only after all grading has been completed.
- In the Administration block, under Course Administration, click Gradebook setup. The gradebook will open to the Gradebook setup.
- In the row for the grade item or category you wish to hide, under the Actions column (at far right), click Edit, then from the drop-down menu select Hide. The grade item's color will dimmed to indicate the item is now hidden.
- When you are ready to show the grades for this grade item to students, navigate back to this page and for the grade item you want to show, click Edit, and from the drop-down menu select Show. The grade item will change back to its original color to indicate the item is now visible.
Additional Considerations for Hiding Grades
Keep in mind that when you hide a Moodle Assignment column in the grade book, the grade is hidden throughout your course page (even when the student looks at their assignment submission). Although the grade (as well as any feedback comments or files you have added) will be hidden, the assignment activity link will still be visible.
Note: When you hide a Turnitin assignment grade in the grade book, students can still see the grade in the My Submissions tab of the Turnitin assignment (as long as it is past the post date).
Another option is to set grades for a particular assignment to automatically become visible to students at a scheduled time.
- In the Administration block, under Course Administration, click Gradebook setup. The gradebook will open to the Gradebook setup page.
- For the grade item for which you wish to set a release time, under the Actions column (at far right), click Edit, then from the drop-down menu, select () Edit Settings. The Edit grade item page will open.
- Under the Grade item heading, click Show more.... Additional options will appear.
- For Hidden until, select the Enable checkbox (at far right). The date/time fields will become editable.
- Set the date and time that you want grades released.
- Click Save changes to finish. You will be returned to the Gradebook Setup page.