On This Page:
This page explains how students gain access to a course in Moodle.
Once the instructor for a class requests a Moodle course, students who are registered in the class in SPIRE are automatically added to the roster in Moodle. Moodle course rosters are updated automatically each hour with enrollment data from SPIRE.
Note: There may be up to a one hour delay between when a student registers for a course in SPIRE and when that student appears in the Moodle roster.
To access a course in Moodle, 5-College students must:
- Be registered in SPIRE for the course.
- Log in to Moodle using their NetID (IT Account username) and password (see note below).
Note: 5-College students who are registered in a UMass course will be sent a NetID (IT Account username) and password via email as soon as their registration appears in SPIRE. More about IT Accounts.
Students should log in to Moodle using their NetID (IT Account username and password). Courses offered through Spring 2021 are on Moodle at UMass Amherst. Summer and Fall 2021 courses are on Moodle in the Cloud. When they have logged in, the Moodle home page opens. A list of Moodle courses is visible in the My courses block (top right) and in the Navigation Tray (left). To open the Moodle course page, select a Moodle course from the list.
A student may not see a Moodle course in the list if:
- The student has no courses that use Moodle. They will be able to log in to Moodle but will not see any courses listed under My courses.
Moodle courses may be hidden from students until the instructor releases them. Most Moodle courses are automatically released to students one business day prior to the first day of classes. However, Moodle gives instructors the ability to hide or show their courses outside of the institutional schedule. Instructors can hide courses that are not ready for use, or open courses prior to the beginning of the semester.
There are a few possible situations that could cause a student who is registered for a course in SPIRE to be unable to access the course in Moodle:
- To check if the class is using Moodle or UMassOnline, go to your course schedule in SPIRE and click the URL icon () next to the class in your course list.
- There may be up to a one hour delay between when a student registers for a course and when that student can access the Moodle course.
- Students must have an active IT Account to log in to Moodle.
If an instructor wishes to provide access to a Moodle course from a previous semester in order for a student to fulfill requirements for an Incomplete, they can assign them a special role in the course that provides access to the closed course. See Assign Roles to Individuals in Your Moodle Course.
If an instructor wishes to provide access to a current Moodle course in order for a student to fulfill requirements for an Independent Study, the instructor must complete the Request Contributor Access to Moodle form.