On This Page:
Activities are interactive tools used to engage students in learning and assess their progress.
Moodle includes the standard tools you'd expect from any learning management system including forums, assignments, and quizzes, along with collaborative activities such as wikis, glossaries, and databases. Other activities facilitate taking attendance and group self-selection to help manage your course.
Activities appear on your course page as a link preceded by an icon indicating the activity type. The activity settings let you control conditions for submitting, grading, and assignment to groups. Activities can be graded by TAs (Non-editing teachers) and instructors (Teachers). They can be added, moved, hidden, and edited by a Teacher or Course Designer. To allow a TA to add/edit Activities or Resources to your course, add the Course Designer role for that individual (see Access to Moodle for Teaching Assistants).
For a description of available activities and links to step-by-step instructions for each, see Activity Types in Moodle.
- At the top of your course page, click Turn editing on (green pencil icon ).
- At the bottom of the Section where you want the activity to appear, click + Add an activity or resource. The Activity and resources chooser dialog opens.
- To view only activities, select the Activities tab.
- To add an activity type to a Starred tab for easy future access, click the Star icon below its name.
To find out more about an activity, click the (i) icon below its name.
To add an activity to your course, click its name or icon. The Settings page for the selected activity will open.
- On the Settings page, configure the settings for the activity.
- At the bottom of the Settings page, click Save and return to course or Save and display.
Note: Many activities, including Attendance, Quizzes, Glossaries, and Databases, require additional setup from within the activity. If you returned to the course page, click the activity to open the activity and complete your set up.
Once you have added an activity:
- To move an activity link on the course page, drag it with its Move icon (in front of the activity name).
Note: You can drag items between Sections, however, if you use the Collapsible topics format, the target section must be open.
- To reconfigure the settings for the activity, click Edit (at right) then select Edit settings. This will return you to the activity's Settings page.
- To hide an activity that you are not ready to release to students, or show a hidden activity, click Edit (at right) then select Hide or Show.
- To change your role to Student and test submitting an activity (e.g., to submit and test scoring on a quiz), at the top right of your course page, click your name or profile icon to open your User menu then select Switch role to.... A new page will open, select Student (the label "student" will appear under your name in the top banner). To return to your Teacher role, return to the User menu and select Return to my normal role.
- To assign different activities, or the same activity, to different groups of students, see Assign an Activity to a Group or Grouping in Moodle.
- To restrict access to an activity manually (by hiding or showing it), based on time, or based on grades earned on previous activities, or provide extra time for students requiring accommodations on quizzes, see Control Access to Resources and Activities in Moodle.