On This Page:
- What is UMass Amherst Google Mail?
- What’s the difference between Apps at UMass Amherst and my regular Google account?
- How do I log in to UMass Amherst Google Mail?
- Do I have a new email address?
- Is Google Mail replacing UMail?
- When my email account switched to Google Mail, what happened to the messages in my UMail account?
- My mail has been migrated, but there are fewer messages in my Google Mail account than there are in my UMail account. Why?
- What is my Google Mail quota?
- Can I set up Google Mail to forward messages to a different email address?
- What happens to my Google Mail account when I graduate or leave UMass Amherst?
- I am a legacy Google Mail user, where do I go to log in?
- What is Inbox by Gmail?
Frequently asked questions about UMass Amherst Google Mail are answered below.
UMass Amherst Google Mail is part of Apps at UMass Amherst, Google's suite of collaboration tools for educational institutions, customized especially for our campus.
Starting in summer 2013, UMass Amherst Google Mail is the official email system for all undergraduate students. Undergraduates' Google Mail accounts have their UMass Amherst email address and are their official email account for the time they are at the University. UMass Amherst IT no longer provides UMail accounts for incoming undergraduates. New students only use Google Mail for their UMass Amherst email.
UMass Amherst Google Mail is only available to undergraduate students at this time. All members of the University community have access to the Apps at UMass Amherst suite.
What’s the difference between Apps at UMass Amherst and my regular Google account?
Unlike your regular Google account, Apps at UMass Amherst does not show any advertisements and your email is not used for analysis or marketing campaigns. Apps at UMass Amherst also includes many critical security features specifically designed to keep your data safe, secure, and in your control. It allows you to control your data, including who you share it with and how you share it. For security and other reasons, some apps are not included in the Apps at UMass Amherst suite. View Google's statement on Security and Privacy.
How do I log in to UMass Amherst Google Mail?
With your IT Account NetID and password, access Google Mail:
- On the Web at apps.umass.edu
- Using email software (e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail) on your computer, tablet, or mobile device. Learn how to configure Google Mail for Email Software & Mobile Devices
- Using a mobile app (e.g., Gmail iPhone app) on your smartphone, tablet, or mobile device. Note: UMass Amherst IT does not provide support for individual mobile apps.
- First, make sure you log out of any personal Google accounts before you log in to Apps at UMass Amherst on the Web.
- When logged in to UMass Amherst Google Mail, you will see the Apps at UMass Amherst logo in the top left corner and your University email address in the top right corner.
- We recommend that you sign out of Google Mail on a regular basis by going to Google Mail > Details > Sign out all other sessions.
Your new email address will be your NetID@umass.edu. All official University communications (e.g., messages from the Registrar's Office, excess check notices) will be sent to this address. You can still receive email addressed to your @student.umass.edu address, but this address will no longer be considered your official campus email address. Email sent to both your @umass.edu address and your @student.umass.edu address will be delivered to your UMass Amherst Google Mail account.
Is Google Mail replacing UMail?
UMass Amherst Google Mail replaced UMail as the official email system for all undergraduates in summer 2013. Students' Google Mail accounts have their UMass Amherst email address and are their official email accounts for the time they are at the University.
The transition from UMail to Google Mail for undergraduates' email occurred on in late June 2013. UMass Amherst IT automatically transferred students' mailboxes from UMail to Google Mail. Note: You will not receive any new mail to your UMail account. All new messages will be delivered to your Google Mail account.
UMail remains UMass Amherst IT's primary email service for all faculty, staff, and graduate students.
When my email account switched to Google Mail, what happened to the messages in my UMail account?
We copied most of your messages to Google Mail, but we could not migrate:
- Attachments with .exe extensions (e.g., whatever.exe) or messages larger than 25 MB. We recommend that you save these messages to your computer.
- Email forwarding, vacation replies, and other UMail Post Office preferences. You will need to set up these preferences again in Google Mail. Learn how to enable email forwarding and set vacation replies in Google Mail.
- UMail Address Books. We recommend that you export your Address Book and import it in Google Mail.
In Google Mail, look for an email listing any messages we could not migrate. You have access to UMail until January 2014 to download old messages, export contacts, or review Post Office preferences.
My mail has been migrated, but there are fewer messages in my Google Mail account than there are in my UMail account. Why?
Your UMail messages will appear in Google's conversation view, meaning that you will see the number of conversation threads, not individual messages, in a folder. The number of conversation threads may be lower than the actual number of messages. This does not mean your messages were not migrated. Simply turn off the conversation view in Google Mail to see messages displayed individually.
What is my Google Mail quota?
There is no quota, you have unlimited storage.
Can I set up Google Mail to forward messages to a different email address?
Yes, you can. Here are the steps to forward mail to another account.
What happens to my Google Mail account when I graduate or leave UMass Amherst?
UMass Amherst graduates and students who leave the University in good standing have access to Apps at UMass Amherst at no cost for one year after they leave the University.
I am a legacy Google Mail user, where do I go to log in?
What is Inbox by Gmail?
Inbox by Gmail is an opt-in feature that allows users to organize their Inbox in several new ways. Create reminders from messages, snooze messages, create custom labels and categories, and much more. Learn more about Inbox by Gmail.