UMail will be retired in early 2020 as it has reached end-of-life and will no longer be supported. Faculty and staff using UMail will receive additional information as migrations to Google Mail and Microsoft Exchange continue.
Note: These instructions are for Outlook 2019 (Windows) only. The latest version of Office 365 uses Outlook 2019. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started.
Please uninstall any Office trial versions on your device before installing Office 365 Education.
Connect to the Internet, then start Outlook 2019:
Note: If you are not connected to the Internet, you will still be able to configure your UMail account on Outlook using these instructions. You will be unable to verify that the process has completed and synchronize your mail successfully until you go online.
- New Users: If you are new to Outlook or are installing Outlook on a new computer (without migrating any local data from your old computer), the Automatic account configuration feature will start the first time you open Outlook 2019 and help you configure your UMass Amherst UMail account. When you start Outlook, a Welcome to Outlook 2019 window should appear. Click Next. You will then see a Microsoft Outlook Account Setup window asking you if you want to configure an email account. Yes should already be selected. Click Next. An Add Account window will open.
- If you have used Outlook for another email account and would like to add your UMass Amherst UMail email account, you can access the Add Account window by going to File > Info and clicking the Add Account button under Account Information. The Add Account window will appear and Email Account should be selected. Proceed to Step 3 below.
- In the Add Account window, enter your NetID@umass.edu email address, click Advanced Options and select 'Let me set up my account manually' then select Connect.
On the Advanced Setup screen, select IMAP.
On the IMAP Account Settings screen, enter your UMail account information:
- In the Incoming mail server field, enter mail-?.oit.umass.edu where ? is the first letter of your IT Account NetID. For example, if your IT Account NetID starts with the letter J, enter mail-j.oit.umass.edu.
- Port: 993
- Encryption Method: SSL/TLS
- In the Outgoing mail server: field, enter mail-auth.oit.umass.edu.
- Port: 465
- Encryption method: SSL/TLS
- Select Next
- In the Password: field, enter your IT Account password.
- Select Connect
In the Internet Email window:
- The User Name will be your IT Account NetID. It will default to your email address, simply remove @umass.edu so just the NetID remains
- Click OK
You should see Account successfully added.
Your Microsoft Outlook 2019 account has now been created. Click Done. You will return to Outlook 2019 and Outlook will immediately begin downloading messages from the UMail server. The synchronization process can take several minutes. Note: You may be prompted for your IT Account password once more.
Congratulations! Outlook is now configured to send and receive messages with your UMail account.