On This Page:
When your UMail account is over quota, you will not be able to receive any email until you have deleted or downloaded messages to free up space on your account. Undergraduate students receive a 500 MB account; graduate students receive 1 GB. Faculty and staff are allocated 2 GB of space.
Note: These pages describe clean-up options for UMail on the Web. You can use these procedures even if you are using an email client (e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird) to access UMail. Simply log in to UMail on the Web at https://umail.it.umass.edu.
In UMail on the Web, messages that are marked to be deleted still occupy space in your account. When they are deleted, they are moved to the Trash folder, where they can be restored if needed. By purging deleted messages, you are erasing them permanently. Make sure that you do not permanently delete messages that you need for future use!
- In your Inbox or any other folder, select the any message you want to delete. To select multiple messages, use Ctrl > click (Windows) or Command > click (Mac). Your selected messages will be highlighted. To select all the messages in the folder or Inbox, navigate to the drop down menus at the bottom of the page. Click Select > All (or any of the other options).
- Click Delete (top left). The messages you selected will be moved to your Trash folder.
- To purge your deleted messages, go to your Trash folder. Use the select panel at the bottom of your inbox to select all messages. Next, click Delete on your top toolbar. The messages will then be deleted permanently.
In UMail on the Web, messages that are marked to be deleted still occupy space in your account. You can change your settings so that the trash will be cleared on logout.
- Go to Settings in the top right corner.
- Click Preferences in the left sidebar, and go to Server Settings.
- Under Maintenance, select Clear Trash on Logout and then Save.
Save Sent Messages or Attachments
UMail on the Web lets you save individual sent messages or attachments so they will no longer take up space on your account.
- From your Inbox, navigate to your Sent Messages folder in the left hand sidebar.
- From your Sent Messages folder, select a message you wish to download, and click More... in the top toolbar. From this menu, select the option to Download as .eml. Note: This can only be done for individual messages. Selecting multiple messages is not supported.
- To save an attachment only, open the message. You will see any attachments on the right hand side. Next to the attachment, click the drop-down menu and select Download.
- Choose a location on your computer to save the message and click Save.
Empty Your Sent Folder
If you chose to save all your sent messages, we recommend that you purge your Sent folder on a regular basis.
- In your Inbox, select your Sent folder from the left sidebar.
- Select the messages you wish to erase (Control > click for Windows, Command > click for Mac) and click Delete (top left). If your settings are adjusted to mark messages for deletion, then you will need to move the message to the Trash folder once you've marked it for deletion (adjust these settings by navigating to Settings in the top right corner of the screen, and go then Server Settings).
- Go to your Trash folder. From here, you can select specific messages (Control > click for Windows, Command > click for Mac) or select all the messages (to select all the messages in the folder or Inbox, navigate to the drop down menus at the bottom of the page. Click Select > All ). Next, select Delete from the upper toolbar to purge the messages from your Trash folder.
Clean Up Your Spam Folder
Check your Spam folder, since there could be messages there taking up valuable space. We recommend that you set up your spam folder to be emptied more often than 14 days, especially if you get a lot of spam.
- Navigate to your Spam folder in the left hand sidebar of your Inbox.
- Ensure that there are no legitimate messages that were placed in your Spam folder by accident. Next, select all the messages in the Spam folder (Control > click for Windows, Command > click for Mac, or to select all the messages in the folder or Inbox, navigate to the drop down menus at the bottom of the page. Click Select > All).
- With all the messages selected, click Delete in the top toolbar to erase all the spam messages permanently.