Use the instructions below to set up Exchange email on your Android device. Depending on your specific device, device manufacturer, or carrier, not all steps may apply to you and screens may vary. These steps apply to devices running Android 2.2 or above. ActiveSync is a mobile data synchronization protocol that synchronizes data between your device and UMass Amherst IT's Exchange server.
Note: Exchange email and calendaring are currently available to a limited number of departments on campus.
- Make sure your device is connected to a data network via cell phone service or other wireless connection type. Note: To decrease data usage on your phone plan while on campus, we recommend that you configure your Android device to use eduroam.
- On your device, go to Menu > Settings.
- At the bottom of the Settings screen, tap Accounts and sync.
- At the bottom of the Accounts and sync screen, tap Add account.
- On the Add account screen, tap Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
- On the setup screens, enter the information below. Tap Next to move to the next screen.
Where netid is your IT Account NetID, followed email@example.com. Note: This might not be your email address. Check with the IT professional in your department if you are having problems configuring.
|Password||IT Active Directory/Exchange password||This may be the same as your IT Account Password.|
|Domain\User name||domain name\netid||Where domain name is the domain you log into your computer (AdminFin, Advancement, Campus, RESUO, Provost, SARIS), followed by your NetID.|
|Use secure connection (SSL)||or SSL||Check to enable Use secure connection (SSL) or for Security Type, choose SSL.|
|Accept all SSL certificates||Please leave Accept all SSL certificates blank if presented with this option.|
Your device will attempt to locate the Exchange server. In the Remote security administration window, tap OK. On the following screens, you can configure several optional settings. Tap Next to move to the final screen and complete the configuration process.
|Email checking frequency||Push (Automatic) or Every x minutes||If using Automatic or Push, email will be delivered to your device as it comes to your Exchange account and will use more battery power. Choosing an option like Every 15 minutes will help preserve battery. You can choose to have your email delivered in real time during Peak schedule (e.g., business hours( and every x minutes during Off-peak schedule.|
|Period to synch email, calendar||E.g., 2 weeks||Specify how many past weeks’ worth of email to be automatically delivered to your device. You can also choose to synch your calendar, contacts, and reminders.|
|Email retrieval size||E.g., 50K||Indicate the maximum email size that will automatically be delivered to your device without having to download the message.|