Starting with summer 2020 classes, class email lists are powered by Google Groups. The process for requesting a new class email list through SPIRE will not change. Log in with your NetID and password at groups.google.com to manage your class lists.
Google Groups documentation & support articles
UMass Amherst uses Google Groups to manage class email lists, and Mailman, a web-based tool administered by UMass Amherst IT, to manage some campus email lists.
Request an Electronic Mailing List or Create a Class Email List
Electronic mailing lists can be requested for official campus organizations (e.g., academic and/or administrative units and registered student organizations).
Note: Instructors do not need to request email lists for their classes. Class Email Lists can be created directly in SPIRE. See our Class Email Lists documentation for instructions on how to create and manage Class Email Lists.
To request an electronic mailing list:
- Please read our Electronic Mailing List Usage Agreement.
- Fill out our Electronic Mailing List Application.
If approved, you will receive a confirmation message with the list's information; your mailing list will be available within 2 hours of your request.
Access a List's Administration Page
Access the Administration Page for a Class Email List
Instructors can access the administration page for their Class Email Lists using Google Groups
- Navigate to groups.google.com in your web browser and sign in with your UMass Amherst NetID and password.
- Click My groups.
- Click Manage group under the name of the group you would like to manage.
- From here you can edit the group’s description, language, and posting options.
- You can also select Members, Messages, and Email settings from the left side of the page.
Access the Administration Page for a Non-Class Electronic Mailing List
- Open a web browser and go to http://list.umass.edu. The Electronic Mailing Lists screen will open.
- On the Electronic Mailing Lists screen, click Manage Your Mailing Lists, then enter your IT Account NetID and password and click Login. A screen will open listing all the email lists you currently own.
- Click the name of the list you wish to manage. The Administration page for that list will open.
Electronic Mailing List Options
For class email lists, see Change your group's name, description, or email settings
For other email lists: Mailman offers many options for administering and configuring your list. We encourage you to explore these options by clicking the Details for... links to see their descriptions. Here are some of the most useful options:
- description: A very brief statement describing your list. This description will appear at the top of your list's Info page.
Note: See our List Information & Message Archives documentation for more information about a list's Info page.
- info: A brief description of your list that will appear at the top of your list's Info page. It should include the purpose of your list and a welcome message.
Note: You can format the text on this box using HTML.
- welcome_msg: This text will appear at the top of the welcome message or subscription confirmation email that list subscribers receive when they join your mailing list.
For class email lists, see Add people to your group
For other email lists:
Note: Mailman does not automatically add list owners as subscribers to their own lists. Make sure you add your email address to your list.
- Go to your List Administration screen.
- Under Configuration Categories, click Membership Management.
- On the Membership Management screen, click Mass Subscription.
- On the Mass Subscription screen, choose whether you would like to subscribe addresses or invite them.
- By selecting subscribe, email addresses placed on this list will be automatically subscribed to your list.
- By selecting invite, addresses will receive an email inviting them to the list. Individuals will have to confirm their subscription.
Note: We recommend that you invite addressees to your list and have them subscribe. Automatically adding an address without the owner's knowledge is bad email etiquette and should be avoided.
- Make sure Yes is selected next to Send welcome messages to new subscribers. These welcome messages contain important information, including a link to the list's information page and the subscriber's mailing list password.
- To be notified each time someone subscribes to the list, select Yes next to Send notifications of new subscriptions to the list owner.
- Go to the text box under Enter one address per line below..., then enter the email addresses of the subscribers you wish to add (one per line). To associate a person's name with an address, enter the name, then the address, in angle brackets:
Name <email address>
Note: You can also upload a plain text (.txt) file with your list's email addresses. The file should list one address per line in the format described above (i.e., an email address without brackets or a name, then an email address in brackets).
- To add additional text to the top of your invitation or subscription notification (welcome message), enter it in the field provided. This text will be added to any custom text specified under General Options.
- When finished, click Submit Your Changes.
For class email lists, see Delete a group or stop members from posting
For other email lists:
To remove subscribers from your list:
- Go to your list administration page https://list.umass.edu/mailman/admin/listname
where listname is the name of your list, and log in using your IT Account password.
- Under Configuration Categories, select Membership Management.
- On the Membership Management page, you'll find a table of your list's subscribers. In the unsub column, check the box next to the name/email address of the subscriber you would like to delete.