The UMass Directory (LDAP) includes the names and email addresses of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These instructions describe how you can configure Mozilla Thunderbird to access the UMass directory. You can access the same directory information using People Finder.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
Configure the UMass Amherst Directory
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Go to Tools > Account Settings... The mail account setup drop-down window will open.
- In the mail account setup drop-down window, in the panel at left, under the heading for your UMail account, click Composition & Addressing. The Composition & Addressing screen will open.
- On the Composition & Addressing screen, under Addressing, select Use a different LDAP server, then click Edit Directories... The LDAP directory sever selection window will open.
- In the LDAP directory sever selection window, click Add. The LDAP directory server properties window will open.
In the LDAP directory server properties window, on the General tab:
- In the Name field, enter UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Hostname field, enter ldap.oit.umass.edu.
In the Base DN field, enter ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu
Note: To avoid errors, we recommend that you copy and paste the search base information from this screen into the field in your email software.
In the Bind DN field, enter uid=yournetid,ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu where yournetid is your replaced by your IT Account NetID.
Note: To avoid errors, we recommend that you copy and paste this information from this screen into the field in your email software.
- Select the check box next to Use secure connection (SSL). The port number will automatically change to 636.
- Click OK. The UMass Amherst Directory will be listed in the LDAP Directory Servers window.
- In the LDAP directory server properties window, click OK. You will return to the Account Settings window, click OK to close it.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, click Write to open a Write: window, then click Contacts. The Contacts panel will open on the left side of the window.
In the Contacts panel:
- From the Address Book drop-down menu, select UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Search For: field, enter the name of the person whose email address you want to search for, then press Enter.The LDAP Server Password Required window will open.
- In the LDAP server password required window, enter your IT Account password, then click OK. If the search is successful, a maximum of thirty (30) results will be displayed in the Contacts panel.
- To transfer an email address to the To: field, double click an entry or select it, then click Add to To: at the bottom of the Contacts panel.