The UMass Amherst Directory includes the names and email addresses of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These instructions describe how you can configure Mozilla Thunderbird on a Macintosh computer to access the directory. You can access the same directory information using People Finder.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
Configure the UMass Amherst Directory
Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
Note: If this is the first time you open Thunderbird, you first need to configure it to access UMail. For instructions, see our Configure UMail in Thunderbird for Macintosh page.
- Go to Tools > Account Settings...The Account Settings window will open.
- In the Account Settings window, in the panel at left, click Composition & Addressing.
- In the Composition & Addressing panel, under Addressing, select Use a different LDAP server, and then click Edit Directories...The Select an LDAP Server window will open.
- In the Select an LDAP Server window, click Add. The Directory Server Properties window will open.
In the Directory Server Properties window, on the General tab:
- In the Name field, enter UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Hostname field, enter ldap.oit.umass.edu.
In the Base DN field, enter ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu
Note: To avoid errors, we recommend that you copy and paste the search base information from this screen into the field in your email software.
- In the Bind DN field, enter uid=yournetid,ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu where yournetid is your IT Account NetID.
- Select the the check box next to Use secure connection (SSL). The Port number will automatically change to 636.
- Click OK. The UMass Amherst Directory will be listed in the LDAP Directory Servers window.
- Click OK to close the Account Settings window.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory
- In Thunderbird, click Write to open a new Compose window.
- In the Compose: window, click Contacts. The Contacts panel will open.
In the Contacts panel:
- From the Address Book drop-down menu, select UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Search for: field, enter the name of the person whose email address you want to search for, then press Enter. The LDAP Server Password Required window will open.
- In the LDAP Server Password Required window, enter your IT Account password, and then click OK. If the search is successful, a maximum of thirty results will be displayed in the Contacts panel.
- To transfer an email address to the To: field, select an entry from the search results, and then click Add to To: at the bottom of the Contacts panel.