The UMass Amherst Directory (LDAP) includes the names and email addresses of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These instructions describe how you can configure Mozilla Thunderbird on a Linux computer to access the UMass Amherst directory. You can access the same directory information using People Finder.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
Configure the UMass Amherst Directory
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird. If this is the first time you open Thunderbird, you will need to configure it for UMail first. See our Configure UMail in Thunderbird for Linux instructions.
- Go to Edit > Account Settings... The Accounts Settings window will open.
- In the Account Settings window, in the panel at left, under the heading for your UMail account, click Composition & Addressing. The Composition & Addressing panel will open.
- In the Composition & Addressing panel, under Addressing, select Use a different LDAP server, then click Edit Directories... The LDAP Directory Servers window will open.
- In the LDAP Directory Servers window, click Add. The Directory Server Properties window will open.
In the Directory Server Properties window, on the General tab:
- In the Name field, enter UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Hostname field, enter ldap.oit.umass.edu.
In the Base DN field, enter ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu
Note: To avoid errors, we recommend that you copy and paste the search base information from this screen into the field in your email software.
- In the Bind DN field, enter uid=yournetid,ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu where yournetid is your IT Account NetID.
- Select the check box next to Use secure connection (SSL). The port number will automatically change to 636.
- Click OK. The UMass Amherst Directory will be listed in the LDAP Directory Servers window.
- In the LDAP Directory Servers window, click OK. You will return to the Account Settings window. Click OK to close it.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory
To search for names and email addresses in the UMass Directory when composing email:
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, click Write to open a Compose window, then click Contacts. The Contacts panel will open on the left side of your window.
In the Contacts panel:
- From the Address Book drop-down menu, select UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the Search for: field, enter the name of the person whose email address you want to search for, then press Enter.The LDAP server password required window will open.
- In the LDAP server password required window, enter your IT Account password, then click OK. If the search is successful, a maximum of thirty results will be displayed in the Contacts panel.
- To transfer an email address to the To: field, select an entry, then click Add to To: at the bottom of the Contacts panel.