The UMass Amherst Directory (LDAP) includes the names and email addresses of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These instructions describe how you can configure Outlook 2007 on a Windows computer to access the directory. You can access the same directory information using People Finder.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
Configure the UMass Amherst Directory
- Open Outlook 2007.
- Go to Tools > Accounts Settings. The Account Settings window will open.
- In the Account Settings window, click the Address Books tab and click New. The Add New E-mail Account window will open.
- In the Add New E-mail Account window, select the radio button next to Internet Directory Service (LDAP) and click Next. The Directory Service (LDAP) Settings screen will open.
On the Directory Service (LDAP) Settings screen:
- In the Server Name field, enter ldap.oit.umass.edu.
Click More Settings... The Microsoft LDAP Directory window will open.
Note: You may see an alert message which reads: The E-mail Account you have just added will not start until you choose Exit from the File menu, and then restart Microsoft Outlook. Click OK.
- In the Microsoft LDAP Directory window, on the Connection tab, in the field under Display Name, enter a name for your directory (e.g., UMass Amherst Directory).
Click the Search tab, then:
Under Search Base, select the radio button next to Custom and in the adjacent text field, enter ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu .
Note: To avoid errors, we recommend that you copy and paste the search base information from this screen into the field in your email software.
- Click Apply, then OK. You will return to the Add New E-mail Account window.
- Under Search Base, select the radio button next to Custom and in the adjacent text field, enter ou=people,dc=umass,dc=edu .
- In the Add New E-mail Account window, click Next and then click Finish.
- In the Account Settings window, click Close.
- Restart Outlook to search the UMass Amherst directory.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory
- Open Outlook, then go to Tools > Address Book. The Address Book: Contacts window will open.
- In the Address Book: Contacts window, go to Tools > Options... The Addressing window will open.
- In the Addressing window, under Show this address list first:, select the name you assigned to your UMass Amherst directory. Click Apply, then click OK.
- Click New to compose a message. The Untitled - Message (HTML) window will open.
- Click To. The Select Names: [your UMass Amherst directory name] window will open.
Enter the name or part of the name of the person you're searching in the text field to the left and click Go. If the search is successful, a maximum of thirty (30) results will display below the search fields.
Note: Depending upon your search criteria, you may receive an error message stating The LDAP Directory Server found more entries for this search than your specified size limit. Click OK to view the first entries.