On This Page:
The UMass Amherst Directory includes the names and email addresses of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These instructions describe how you can configure Mac OS X (10.9) Mail to access the UMass Amherst Directory. You can access the same directory information using People Finder.
Note: You must be connected to the campus network via a wired connection, wireless, or VPN in order to access LDAP.
Note: These instructions follow the version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
Configure the UMass Amherst Directory
Apple Mail works with the OSX Contacts application. By configuring Apple Mail, you are adding the UMass Amherst Directory to Contacts (not to Apple Mail). Use Contacts to access and search the directory.
- In the Apple Menu, go to System Preferences... The System Preferences window will open.
- In the System Preferences window, select Internet Accounts. The Internet Accounts window will open.
- In the Internet Accounts window, you should see a list of account types on the right side of the window. Scroll down to the bottom of the window and click Add Other Account. The Choose An Account Type window will open.
- In the Choose An Account Type window, select Add an LDAP account and click Create. The Add an LDAP account window will open.
- In the Add an LDAP account window, fill in the following information:
- In the Description field, enter UMass Amherst Directory
- in the Search Base field, enter ou=people, dc=umass, dc=edu. To avoid errors, UMass Amherst IT recommends that you copy and paste the Search Base information above. If using OS X 10.11 in the Scope drop down menu select One Level.
- In the Server Address field, enter ldap.oit.umass.edu.
- Click the triangle next to Server Options and select Use SSL. Verify that the number in the Port field changes to 636.
- Close the Internet Accounts window.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory from Contacts
- In the Contacts window, select Directories (left panel), and then select UMass Amherst Directory.
- In the search field (top right), enter your search criteria (e.g., type the name of a student or faculty member) and then press Enter. A maximum of thirty search results will appear in the window below.
Search the UMass Amherst Directory from Apple Mail
- In Apple Mail, click New Message to open a New Message window.
- In the To, Cc, or Bcc field, start typing the name of the person you'd like to send mail to. A list of addresses that contain this name will appear below the field.
- Click the name to add them as a recipient.