If you are new to Microsoft Outlook 2010 or you are installing Outlook on a new computer (without migrating any local data from your old computer), the Automatic account configuration feature will start the first time you open Outlook 2010 and help you configure your UMass Amherst Exchange email and calendaring.
Start Outlook 2010.
- If you have used an earlier version of Outlook on your computer before, when you upgrade to 2010 your accounts will automatically be configured.
- If you have used Outlook for another email account and would like to add your UMass Amherst Exchange account, you can access the configuration window by going to File > Info and selecting Add Account under Account Information. The configuration window will open and E-mail Account should be selected. Proceed to Step 2 below.
- New Users: If you are new to Outlook 2010 or are installing Outlook on a new computer, start Outlook. A Startup window should appear, click Next. You will then see an E-mail Accounts window asking you if you want to configure an e-mail account. Yes should already be checked. Click Next. A configuration window will open.
In the configuration window, enter your Exchange account information:
- In the Your Name field, enter both your first and last name.
- In the Email Address field, enter NetID@umass.edu (e.g., email@example.com). Check with the IT professional in your department if you are having problems configuring.
- In the Password field, enter your IT Active Directory/Exchange password. Note: This may be the same as your UMass Amherst IT Account Password.
In the Retype Password field, enter your IT Active Directory/Exchange password. Note: This may be the same as your UMass Amherst IT Account Password..
Note: Make sure "Text Message (SMS)" and "Manually configure settings or additional server types" are not checked
- Click Next.
A progress indicator appears as your account is configured. The setup process can take several minutes. When it is complete, click Finish. You may be asked to restart Outlook for the changes to take place.
- You have now successfully configured Outlook 2010! Outlook will immediately begin downloading messages from the Exchange server. Your Exchange calendar will be available in the calendar tab.