Note: These instructions follow the latest version of the software noted above. For other versions, there may be some variation, but the information below should serve as a guide to get you started. To identify the version of your software, look for the About link in the software's main menu or Help menu.
First, follow the steps to enable IMAP access, turn on 2-step verification, and get an application-specific password.
Configure Google Mail for Email Software & Mobile Devices.
Start Outlook 2011.
- If this is the first time Outlook 2011 has been launched, a Welcome to Outlook window will appear. Click Add Account and then select the E-mail icon on the Add an Account window. A configuration window will open.
- If you have used Outlook 2011 before, after launching the program, select from the main menu Outlook > Preferences > Accounts. The Accounts window will open. Click the + sign at the bottom left and select E-mail... from the drop-down menu. A configuration window will open.
In the configuration window, enter your Google Mail account information:
- In the E-mail Address field, enter your Google Mail address (e.g., NetID@umass.edu).
- In the Password field, enter the Application Specific Password generated by Google.
- Do not select Configure automatically.
- In the User name field, enter your Google Mail address again (e.g., NetID@umass.edu)
- Under Type, select IMAP from the drop-down menu.
- For both Incoming and Outgoing servers, select Override default port and Use SSL to connect.
- In the Incoming server fields, enter imap.googlemail.com : 993.
- In the Outgoing server fields, enter smtp.googlemail.com : 465.
- Click Add Account. You will return to the Accounts window.
In the Accounts window, most of the fields will be automatically populated. Under Personal information, verify the following:
- In the Account description field, enter a name for the account identifying it as your Google Mail account.
In the Full name field, enter your name.
Note: This will appear in the From field of your outgoing messages.
The Email address field should contain your Google Mail address
Then, under Server information, verify the following:
The User Name field should also contain your Google Mail address
The Password field should contain the
Application Specific Password generated by Google.
- The Incoming mail server fields should read imap.googlemail.com : 993. If this number is incorrect, select Override default port to unlock the field and change it.
- The Outgoing mail server (SMTP) fields should read smtp.googlemail.com : 465. If this number is incorrect, select Override default port to unlock the field and change it.
- Select the boxes next to Use SSL to connect for both incoming and outgoing servers. Make sure Always use secure password is selected.
- Click More Options... to open an Outgoing server settings window. Under Authentication, select Use Incoming Server Info from the drop-down menu. Click OK. You will be brought back to the Accounts window and you can close it. All of your settings will be saved automatically.
- The User Name field should also contain your Google Mail address
- You will now see your Google Mail address listed in the Inbox. If you have more than one email account in Outlook 2011, you can set your Google Mail address as default by clicking the Gear icon at the bottom of the left menu and selecting Set as Default.
- To test your mail settings, use Outlook 2011 to send a message to your Google Mail address. In a few moments, the message should appear in your Outlook inbox.
Congratulations! Outlook 2011 is now configured to send and receive messages with your Google Mail account.