Echo360 is an active learning platform (ALP) that enables instructors to record classroom sessions and share video content outside of class.
- If you are teaching in an Echo360-equipped classroom, request automatic recordings of all class meetings, capturing both the classroom A/V display and front-facing camera.
- Create recordings using your computer with Echo360's laptop/desktop capture software (called "Personal Capture") and publish them to your Echo360 course.
- Upload and share files from another source (e.g., Camtasia, Jing) to your Echo360 course.
- Special Events: If you are a representative of an academic department or campus office and want to request a recording of a special event in an Echo360-equipped classroom, see Request Echo360 Recordings for Special Events (below).
Please review the following information before submitting your Echo360 request through SPIRE:
- Only the primary instructor of record can request Echo360 Lecture Capture. Requests for courses are processed through SPIRE.
- You must request a new Echo360 Lecture Capture section for each term that you wish to use it. New course requests are necessary for each subsequent new term, including if you want to continue sharing recordings published in previous semesters.
- You will receive a confirmation email when your Echo360 course is ready to use. Wait to receive this email before logging into Echo360 or linking to your LMS course page (i.e. Moodle or Blackboard Learn).
- For information on enrolling students, TAs, or co-instructors in a Moodle course, see Access Echo360 Through Moodle.
To request lecture capture:
- Log in to SPIRE using your IT Account NetID and password.
- In the SPIRE Menu, go to Main Menu > Faculty Home > Echo360 Request. The Echo360 Request page will open displaying a list of eligible class sections.
(click to enlarge)
- Click Select for the class section you want to request, opening the request form.
- Confirm the course details for your request, then, under the Select Echo360 lecture capture use heading, check the box(es) based on how you intend to use Echo360 lecture capture:
- Make new recordings on my computer with Echo360 Personal Capture software - you want to create recordings using Echo360's Personal Capture software on your computer.
- Upload recordings from another screen capture program (e.g., Camtasia, Jing) - you want to take recordings from other sources and upload them manually.
- Re-use recordings from prior class - Specify class below - you want to use recordings from another class. When selected, you must also select which course you want to copy from the Class with prior recordings drop-down menu.
- [Only for Echo-enabled rooms] Automated Classroom Capture - you want class meetings to be automatically recorded, capturing both the classroom A/V display, front-facing camera, and microphone.
- Use the Comments box to provide any additional information you might want to communicate to the Echo360 administrators.
- Click Save to submit your request.
Representatives of academic departments or campus offices can request recordings of special events held in Echo360-equipped classrooms. To request an Echo360 recording of a special event:
- Log in to Apps at UMass Amherst.
Note: For assistance with logging into and/or activating Apps at UMass Amherst, contact IT User Services.
- Fill out the Echo360 Special Event Request Form.
The Echo360 administrators will verify your account setup and send you important information to get started, and schedule your event to be recorded, and how to download and share your recording after your event.