On This Page:
You have two options for entering content: the Visual Editor or Text Editor. The Visual Editor gives you an interface similar to that of a word processor (i.e., MS Word). The Text Editor lets you enter (limited) HTML mark up and has buttons for most common HTML tags.
If you only see the HTML View for your editor and no tab for the Visual Editor, in the Dashboard toolbar, go to Users > Your Profile. Under Personal Options, uncheck Disable the visual editor when writing (top of page), then click Update Profile (bottom of page).
To switch between the Visual and Text Editor, click Visual or Text tabs (top-right of toolbar).
When you first access your blog, the Visual Editor toolbar will only show the top row of tools. If you do not see text formatting tools in the bottom row (see screenshot above), click Show/Hide Toolbar Toogle (). The toolbar will expand to show additional formatting and insert options.
As in any word processing software, select the text to format then use the buttons in the toolbar to format it. If you cut and paste text from a word processing software and it is not properly formatted, deletethe entry and try again using Paste as text to insert text (). You can also use Clear Formatting () to remove all formatting, then format the text using the toolbar.
To present a short segment of a post on your blog page, followed by a Continue reading... link, in the Visual Editor, click where you want the break and then, in the toolbar, click Insert Read More Tag ().
- To add a link, select text or an image and click Link () . You can link to a Web page or to link to another post or page on your blog.
- To remove a link, select the hyperlinked text and click Unlink ().
For more on creating links, see Create Links in Blog Posts and Pages.
To insert an image or link to a PDF, above the Editor toolbar (at left), click Add Media (). Media files can be uploaded to your blogs' Media Library (or you can select files already in the library) or you can link to a file stored elsewhere, such as a public file on your Apps at UMass (Google) Drive.
To embed video hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or other supported video hosting services, simply link to the web page for the video. (No embed code is involved, in fact, it won't work!) For details on embedding media from streaming services or for hosting your own video files, see Link to or Embed Video & Audio Content in your Blog.
To add a TablePress formatted and sortable table to a page or post:
- To add a TablePress table, you must first activate the TablePress plugin (see Manage Blog Plugins & Widgets). Once the plugin is activated, the TablePress insert button appears in the Visual Editor toolbar.
- Before inserting the table, you must build the table using TablePress: In your blogs Dashboard, on the Toolbar, click TablePress, then add and set up your table.
- Open a page or post and click where you wish to add the table.
- In the Editor Toolbar, click the Insert TablePress button ().
Other plugins may also add insert buttons to (or above) the Editor tool bar.