On This Page:
Read&Write is a literacy, accessibility, and dyslexia software that helps to make the web, documents, and files more accessible. It’s a friendly, intuitive toolbar that assists users at all levels with everyday tasks like reading text aloud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments and proofing written work. Read&Write gives support to students with their reading, writing, and researching while in the classroom, during assessments, and at home.
- Helps to develop confidence in users who struggle with reading and writing.
- Helps users with additional language or literacy needs who need unobtrusive extra support with reading and writing.
- Helps users with English as a Second Language improve their understanding, accuracy, communication and productivity.
- Works on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices and integrates seamlessly with documents, web pages, and office applications.
- Helps build confidence in students with dyslexia and other learning difficulties, English Language Learners, and anyone who needs a little extra help with their reading and writing.
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with a choice of natural voices.
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries.
- Develop writing skills with word prediction.
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools.
- Now available with our license: plugins for Firefox and Chrome browsers.
- Improves confidence for struggling readers.
- Helps students with dyslexia and other literacy challenges.
- Assists English Language Learners and individuals with English as a Second Language.
- Promotes independent learning and supports students in and outside the classroom.
Available free to UMass Amherst students, staff, and faculty..
Read&Write is available free to UMass Amherst students, staff, and faculty, for as long as you attend or work at UMass.
Without activation, your software will run in trial mode for thirty days, then stop working. After installing Read&Write, these are the actions you need to perform:
- You will be prompted to sign in using one of several different online accounts you may have, with which to activate your software.
- Choose Google. You may then be presented with a list of Google accounts you have access to.
- Choose your UMass Google Apps account. Any other choices will result in your software remaining in trial mode.
- Log in with your UMass NetID and password.
UMass Amherst now has access to Read&Write for iOS, Android, and the Firefox and Chrome browsers. To obtain these versions:
|iOS||Download from Apple App Store|
|Android||Download from Google Play Store|
|Chrome browser||Download from Chrome Web Store|
|Firefox browser||After activating Read&Write for Mac, or Read&Write for Windows, you will be prompted by Read&Write to install the plugin.|