On This Page:
Computers supported by UMass Amherst IT require a log in using UMass NetID and password to access the wide array of software that are available for students, faculty and staff.
Your NetID serves as the primary user name for your IT Account and gives you access to the campus network, SPIRE, email and much, much more. Example: Gerald Smith's NetID might be gsmith. Enter NetID whenever you see a username field.
Your NetID password provides access to your personal information such as your email, your SPIRE account, or files stored on BOX. To protect your personal information, please do not share your NetID password with anyone.
On Windows workstation be sure to check that the domain is set to CAMPUS. The screen should display Sign in to: CAMPUS. In event that domain is not set to CAMPUS, please enter your username in the following manner:
User Name: CAMPUS\gsmith
Password: same as previous
Example of Windows Log-In Screen:
Example of a Mac login screen:
If you have entered your password incorrectly five times, your account will be locked for 30 minutes. To unlock your account, follow the directions below:
- Navigate to spire.umass.edu in your web browser.
- Log in to SPIRE with your NetID and password.
- In SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > My IT Accounts and click on the NetID.
- On My IT Accounts - Detail Account window scroll down to Services for this Account box and click on Unlock Email / Windows Workstation button.
- Once the Account is successfully unlocked, a success message will be displayed.
- Please wait a few minutes, and then try to log in again. If you continue to encounter issues with logging in, please contact IT User Services or a member of the IT Computer Classrooms staff.