Users with Linux-based operating systems can protect their computers from viruses and other malware by using free, open-source security programs such as ClamAV.
ClamAV (Anti-Virus) is an open source (GPL) anti-virus toolkit, providing a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon, a command line scanner, and advanced tool for automatic database updates, among others. The core of the package is an anti-virus engine available in a form of shared library.
- Command-line scanner
- Fast, multi-threaded daemon with support for on-access scanning
- Filter interface for sendmail
- Advanced database updater with support for scripted updates and digital signatures
- Virus scanner C library
- On-access scanning (Linux® and FreeBSD®)
- Virus database updated multiple times per day
- Built-in support for various archive formats, mail file formats, ELF executables and Portable Executable files, and popular document formats, including MS Office and Mac Office files, HTML, RTF, and PDF