State and federal legislation and University policies mandate that campus departments adequately protect the sensitive data available to them. Through this initiative, UMass Amherst IT seeks to help departments fulfill these legal obligations and reduce the risks associated with potential security breaches.
As part of this project, faculty and staff in participating departments:
- Learn more about sensitive data at UMass Amherst.
- Remove or store sensitive data securely.
Reasons to Join This Project
- University-owned computers in your department might have unprotected sensitive data that puts you and your colleagues at risk in the event of a security breach.
- In the event of a security breach, your department may be held financially responsible for the cost of the breach, lose its accreditation, and risk legal action, among other serious consequences.
- Your department will be in compliance with the University's data security requirements.
- Resources and support are available from UMass Amherst IT for a limited time.
All departments are encouraged to join this initiative. Department heads and/or IT professionals can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a timeline suitable for their department.
How UMass Amherst IT Can Help
These resources are available for a limited period of time.
- Data classification presentation & documentation. We will work with you to schedule a presentation at a time that is convenient for you and your colleagues. This can be a stand-alone event or part of an existing staff meeting.
- Software installation support.
- Consulting. We can assist departments with choosing a secure file storage alternative or developing internal data protection policies.