This fall, UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) continues to optimize the learning experience for the campus community, following the launch of Moodle in the Cloud last spring.
- Starting Monday, October 4, 2021, Legacy Moodle, the previous version of Moodle, will require Virtual Private Networking (VPN) for off-campus access. Students, instructors, and other members of the campus community who need to log into Legacy Moodle from off-campus will need to establish a VPN connection first. VPN is not required to use Legacy Moodle from on-campus.
- Instructors or facilitators for ad hoc community courses for online training, collaborative groups, and other course-like activities will need to transition their courses from Legacy Moodle to Moodle in the Cloud by December 31, 2021. New ad hoc community courses can be requested and are hosted in Moodle in the Cloud.
These changes are part of the larger roadmap for learning management platforms at UMass Amherst. They ensure a secure and consistent learning experience for students and instructors, protect the campus technology infrastructure against information security threats, and advance UMass Amherst's IT resource management strategy.
Move Your Ad Hoc Community Course to Moodle in the Cloud
Instructors/facilitators can move existing course content from the old version of Moodle to the new. We recommend that you complete this transition as soon as possible before the end of the fall 2021 semester. If you move your course(s) before October 4, you and other course participants will not need to use virtual private network (VPN) when logging in to Legacy Moodle from off-campus. To move your course content:
- Request your new Moodle in the Cloud course shell using the course request form.
- Back up your existing Moodle course.
- Once Moodle administrators notify you that your Moodle shell is ready, use the course backup to import content into your new Moodle course. Restore a Moodle course
- Log in to Moodle in the Cloud at https://umass.moonami.com with your email@example.com and password.
- Remind course participants that the Moodle course is available at https://umass.moonami.com.
Request a New Ad Hoc Community Course
New ad hoc community courses are hosted in Moodle in the Cloud at https://umass.moonami.com/ and can be requested using our current course request form. Once the course is set up, you and other course participants will log in with your firstname.lastname@example.org and password.