In support of flexible learning at UMass Amherst, an upgraded, cloud-based version of Moodle, one of the campus learning management systems, will be available for
summer and fall university courses.
UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) is making this change with the goal of improving our teaching and learning experience and expanding the reach of UMass Amherst education.
Moving Moodle to the cloud means that the infrastructure for Moodle will no longer be on campus for courses starting in summer 2021. Cloud-based services are available on-demand online from a cloud computing provider's servers as opposed to on-premise IT infrastructure.
Hosted in the cloud, Moodle becomes more scalable, resilient, and agile. The platform can accommodate more students, courses, and web traffic, with fewer technical hiccups and service interruptions.
In short, Moodle will have a new and more durable home.
What do these changes mean for students and instructors?
- The current version of Moodle remains available for spring 2021 and past semesters as well as current ad-hoc courses. Both versions of Moodle will run concurrently, but no course will be offered in both versions.
- Upcoming summer and fall 2021 courses will be hosted in the upgraded version of Moodle. Students and instructors will use a new URL to access their summer or fall Moodle course(s).
- Instructors can request their summer 2021 Moodle courses starting April 5, 2021, and fall 2021 courses later this spring (date to be announced soon).
- For fall 2021 courses, instructors can request to have their course content moved automatically from the old version of Moodle to the new.
- For summer 2021 courses, instructors will back up their courses and restore the course backup manually. Step-by-step instructions will be provided.
- More information will follow, including what’s new and different in the new Moodle. For questions, please contact the Instructional Design, Engagement, & Support (IDEAS) group at email@example.com.
Service changes and transitions are an essential step in UMass Amherst’s continuous digital transformation. We are committed to modernizing the campus technology infrastructure with unified, cost-effective enterprise platforms that ensure a positive experience, increase functionality and security, and make efficient use of campus technology resources.