As you prepare for the transition from Box, you may consider Google Drive as a repository for your Box files. Before making a final decision, please be aware of the following:
- This February, Google announced the transition to Google Workspace for Education and a new storage policy. Starting in July 2022, Google will implement a new storage model, which likely will involve a more restrictive storage limit for individual Google accounts. UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) is evaluating how to best position the new Workspace service for the campus community.
- If you store a substantial amount of data in Box or already have large files across your UMass Amherst Google services (e.g., Drive, Photos, Gmail), we strongly recommend that you choose Microsoft OneDrive over Google Drive for your Box files. This will reduce the possibility of another transition in 2022 when Google Drive may no longer meet your online storage needs.
- Check the classification and compliance requirements for the university data you store in Box. Before transferring your Box files:
- Microsoft OneDrive is recommended for data with research, administrative, contractual, regulatory, and legal compliance requirements. Google Workspace for Education is approved for student data.
- If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a risk assessment and determine whether Google Drive is the appropriate storage solution for your data.
- There is currently no automated file transfer from Box to Google Drive. Learn more about moving your Box files to Google Drive.
For the latest information, see the IT Service Transition: Box Secure Online Storage Retirement Updates.
Questions? Contact IT User Services at email@example.com or 413-545-TECH (8324).