March 17, 2021
In preparation for the transition from Box, UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) teams are working with SkySync, a data migration and management company, to move Box files and folders to Microsoft OneDrive, with an eye to replicating folder structure, workflows, and permission settings.
- We are currently conducting a pilot of this automatic data transfer and we anticipate starting the move from Box to OneDrive in early April.
- Your current Box files and folders will be copied to OneDrive and placed in a separate folder named “BoxData.” If you already use OneDrive, please do not use the BoxData folder until we notify you that the transfer is complete.
- Files created in Box Notes, a proprietary document creation tool that works solely within Box, will be converted to Microsoft Word and copied to your OneDrive account.
- No action is required on your part to complete the data transfer. Please do not transfer your files manually to OneDrive.
- Post-transfer, you will have the opportunity to review your data in OneDrive and Box before Box is officially retired on July 26, 2021.
- If you plan to move Box files to Google Drive, step-by-step instructions will be provided. More information will be available next week.
Stay tuned for weekly updates, including more details on what to expect during the transition period and answers to frequently asked questions.
For the latest information, see the IT Service Transition: Box Secure Online Storage Retirement Updates.
Questions? Contact IT User Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-545-TECH (8324).