The upgrade to Google Groups is complete and campus email lists are now available at groups.google.com. We recommend that list managers:
Access Email Lists
- Log in with NetID@umass.edu and password (or subsidiary account information) at groups.google.com and make sure the lists they manage appear under My Groups. If anything is missing, contact email@example.com.
- To request a new list or delete an existing list, go to SPIRE > IT Accounts > Email List Request & View.
Review List Settings
Some list settings may have been reset during the upgrade. In the row corresponding to a list, list managers can click the Group settings icon (far right) to access and modify list preferences, such as posting policies or message delivery settings.
Use our Google Groups: Post-Upgrade Checklist for List Managers to get started.
- Review and update the privacy settings for each of your lists. Click a list name, then About at left for a summary of current privacy settings.
- Check moderation and posting settings for individual list members as these settings may need to be updated.
- Add a subject prefix to messages posted to your list(s).
- And more...
Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Starting today, February 23, UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) is upgrading UMass Amherst email lists (a.k.a. listservs) to Google Groups.
- Current lists that meet the upgrade criteria will be automatically upgraded. List owners do not need to recreate existing lists in SPIRE.
- List email addresses are not changing. Continue to use the same list email addresses after the upgrade to Google Groups.
- List moderation is available this week, meaning list owners can approve, defer, or reject messages as needed during the upgrade.
- List management is available, but changes made after February 22 may not be moved to Google Groups: adding/deleting members or any other changes you make to your lists during the upgrade may not be reflected in Google Groups.