On January 10, 2020, a new fraudulent phishing message with the subject "[Notification] Payroll Schedule Message." began targeting UMass Amherst email users.
The email appears to have been sent by “Payroll,” notifies the recipient “1 New Notification Regarding Your Payroll.”, and contains a link to what appears to be a UMass Amherst web page. The link in the message directs the user to a fraudulent login page.
Caution: This email did not come from the University of Massachusetts. It is a phishing scam designed to trick you into providing your NetID password to get access to your personal information and/or UMass information technology services for fraudulent purposes.
Do not respond to the fraudulent message! Responding or clicking the link in the message may put your information and the university's information and systems at risk.
When receiving suspicious messages or messages from unknown senders, we recommend that you:
- Verify the identity of anyone who requests your personal information. Never provide financial data or other personal information in response to an email or on an untrusted site or form.
- Report these messages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about phishing attacks and how to avoid getting caught:
- Phishing: Fraudulent Emails, Text Messages & Phone Calls
- Protect Yourself Against Phishing & Identity Theft
- See the Latest Phishing Scams on Campus