On March 17, 2017, a new fraudulent phishing message with the subject "Career Center (CAREER OPENING)" began targeting UMass Amherst email users.
The email appears to have been sent by "Center for Career Services," notifies users that “Center for Career Services would like to personally invite you to become a secret shopper," contains a link, and asks recipients to click a link to apply
Caution: This email did not come from the University of Massachusetts. It is a phishing scam designed to trick you into providing your personal information for fraudulent purposes.
Do not respond to the fraudulent message or click the link! Responding or clicking the link in the message may put your information and the University's information and systems at risk.
If you have already responded to the message, change your IT Account password in SPIRE immediately.
For more information about this phishing scam or to learn more about what you can do to protect yourself, see the News section of the UMass Amherst IT website. Please report suspicious messages to email@example.com.
When receiving suspicious messages or messages from unknown senders, we recommend that you:
- Verify the identity of anyone who requests your personal information. Never provide financial data or other personal information in response to an email or on an untrusted site or form.
- Report these messages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about phishing attacks and how to avoid getting caught:
- Phishing: Fraudulent Emails, Text Messages & Phone Calls
- Protect Yourself Against Phishing & Identity Theft
- See the Lastest Phishing Scams on Campus