Starting on September 19, 2016, UMass Amherst Information Technology will require that passwords for IT subsidiary accounts be changed once a year. Subsidiary accounts are additional accounts that faculty and staff can request for departmental or academic projects, cross-group collaborations, student employees, service/application accounts, and other purposes. See the Subsidiary Accounts page for additional information on subsidiary accounts.
Please change the password(s) of your subsidiary account(s) today if you have not done so in the past year. You will receive several reminders before your password expires. If your password lapses and until you change it, you will not be able to use your subsidiary account(s). Instructions for changing subsidiary account passwords can be found on the Subsidiary Account page.
Note: Check all of your subsidiary accounts in SPIRE to make sure they are categorized appropriately. In SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > My IT Accounts. See the Subsidiary Account page for a list of account types.
Note: System subsidiary accounts are excluded from this automated password change process. Passwords on system subsidiary accounts still need to be changed periodically, and IT User Services will work with individual account owners to schedule the changes.
For questions, contact the IT Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org, 413-545-9400, or 413-545-TECH (8324) or the IT professional in your department, as applicable.
Change Your Subsidiary IT Account Password
- Log in to SPIRE with your NetID and password. Your Faculty or Employee Center page will open.
- In the top navigation menu, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > My IT Accounts. The My IT Accounts - Account List page will open.
- On My IT Accounts - Account List page, click the account name whose password you wish to change (e.g., wwwdev). The Account Detail page will open. Note: If you have a System subsidiary account (the account type is listed as System on My IT Accounts - Account List page), please contact IT User Services for next steps.
- On the Account Detail page, in the top right corner, click Change Password. The Change My IT Password page will open.
- On the Change My IT Password page, enter and confirm a new password following the Password Rules listed above, then click Change IT Password. You will be redirected to a confirmation page and you will receive an email confirming that your password has been changed.
- On the confirmation page, click OK to return to the Account Detail page.
- In the top navigation menu, click My IT Accounts to repeat this process for other subsidiary accounts, if applicable.
Assign an Official User to Your Subsidiary IT Account
If another UMass Amherst colleague or student is using a subsidiary IT account that you own, you can designate this individual as an official account user. Official users have the ability to change subsidiary account passwords.
- In the top navigation menu in SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > My IT Accounts. The My IT Accounts - Account List page will open.
- On My IT Accounts - Account List page, click the account name. The Account Detail page will open.
- On the Account Detail page, under Account Assignment (mid-page), next to the Assign Official User field, click the magnifying glass. A lookup window will open, allowing you to locate the individual user by last name or NetID.
- In the search results, click the name of your official user. You will return to the Account Detail page where the Assign Official User field will have the individual's 8-digit SPIRE ID already filled in.
- Click Save Assignment. A confirmation message will appear in the top right corner of the page. Your subsidiary account now has an official user who can change the account password on your behalf if needed.