Effective today, February 8, 2016, UMass Amherst students, faculty, and staff have a new file storage and collaboration service at their disposal. With flexible sharing options, unlimited quota, and improved security features, Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst provided by Box is an alternative to Google Drive, UDrive, DropBox, and other similar products.
To access Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst, log in with your NetID and password at: https://it.umass.edu/box (blue button at top)
What Is Box?
Box is a document storage, management, and collaboration tool that provides a simple, more secure way to store and share files online. With Box, you can:
- Store and organize your files in a single location and access them from your computer, tablet, or mobile device
- Create and edit files directly in the cloud with Box Edit
- Customize how you share files with students or colleagues using its flexible permissions settings
- Post comments, assign tasks, or create entire workflows for easier, faster collaboration
- Protect your data from unauthorized access with its powerful security and privacy controls
How Is Box Different from Other Online File Storage Options Like UDrive, Google Drive, Or Dropbox?
Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst with Box provides:
- A contract and Business Associates Agreement with the university that covers many types of sensitive data. Sensitive data stored in any other commercial service is not covered by a similar agreement.
- Improved security features and more privacy controls for sharing files than Dropbox, Google Drive and other commercial products.
- A friendlier interface and a larger quota than UDrive, the legacy online file storage service on campus.
Learn more about university data storage options
Who Can Use Box?
Box is available to all UMass Amherst students, faculty, and staff. Box is ideal for faculty and staff working with certain types of research or university data. Those working on complex projects involving multiple teams with different access needs will benefit from the flexible permission options and increased quota.
Where Can I Find More Information?
- Go to: https://it.umass.edu/box for access and documentation
- UMass Amherst IT has shared a folder titled “Box Help and Resources” with your Box account
- Check Box’s extensive knowledge base or Box University tutorials
For more information or assistance with your Box account, please contact IT User Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-545-TECH (8324)