Search Google Appliance

Information Technology

Troubleshooting Residential Telephone Services

If you are experiencing a problem with your telephone service, please read through the following questions and answers. If the problem persists, please don't hesitate to use a neighbor's phone to call Residential Telecom, 545-2103.

My telephone has no dial tone, what should I do?

Make sure your telephone is plugged into the upper left telephone wall jack if you are in a residence hall, or into the upper jack if you are in a Family Housing apartment. If you still get no dial tone, then there is a problem with either your telephone, your line cord, or the wall jack. Before calling for assistance, please take the following steps to identify the problem:

  • Plug your telephone and line cord into a wall jack you know to be working, such as your neighbor's.
  • If you still get no dial tone with the working wall jack, then the problem is with your telephone or line cord. It is your responsibility to repair or replace your telephone or line cord.
  • If you get a dial tone with the working wall jack, then the problem is with the wall jack in your room. Please call Residential Telecom, 545-2103 for assistance.

What should I do if I receive harassing phone calls?

If you receive harassing calls, please report the incident to residential staff and contact the Department of Public Safety, 545-2121, for assistance. Harassing telephone calls are a violation of Massachusetts General Law.

How do I report telephone and network connection problems?

  • For broken wall jacks or telephone line problems please contact Residential Telecommunications at 545-2103,, and fill out an online Permission to Enter (PTE) form (You will be prompted for your NetID and password in order to access the form).
  • Problems with Wireless or Ethernet services should be reported to the IT Help Center, 545-9400.