Search Google Appliance

Information Technology

Network Communications Long Distance Usage Policy

It is the policy of the Amherst Campus regarding telephone usage, that University telephones are to be used for business purposes only. 

  1. If it is necessary to place an urgent long distance personal call from a University phone, reimbursement can and must be made via a personal check, payable to the University of Massachusetts. Departments are responsible for the collection and deposit of reimbursement checks.


  2. If international calls are made, It shall be the responsibility of users to review the detail, identify their international charges, and certify by signature or initials that those charges represent either appropriate business usage, or personal calls for which the University will be reimbursed.


  3. Signed telephone charge detail reports shall be returned to the caller's department for review and approval. These reports should be retained for seven years for audit purposes.


  4. The University's long distance carriers allow only one month for Network Communications to request billing credits for any reason. Therefore Network Communications is able to issue credits for fraud/abuse or billing errors to departments only if Network Communications has been notified of the abuse prior to the mailing of the next month's bill. After that, no credits will be granted to a department for fraud/abuse or billing errors.


  5. Telephone calling cards will be issued by Network Communications as required for University business or research. As the security of University calling card numbers is essential, cardholders are responsible for reviewing their charges monthly and advising Network Communications immediately, if it appears that a calling card number has been compromised.


  6. Calling cards and authorization codes are issued to and used by only one individual. If the card or code is shared, no credits will be issued for fraud.


  7. Network Communications should be notified immediately when a calling card or authorization code holder is transferred to another Major Budgetary Unit or leaves the employ of the University.