A powerful information security strategy is necessary to continue to protect university accounts and data.
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint delivers industry-leading security for Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Support for Android and iOS devices will be added in the future.Microsoft Defender for Endpoint provides similar security features to Sophos Endpoint Protection, and will replace Sophos as the university's endpoint protection solution in 2022.
- About Microsoft Defender
Features & Benefits
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Key Benefits
- Leverages Microsoft’s machine learning and knowledge about information security threats across the globe to prevent and detect against these threats.
Detects vulnerabilities in software on systems and recommends remediations.
- Built-in to Microsoft Windows for increased performance, and does not require separate 3rd party software to run on Windows.
Features Familiar from Sophos Endpoint Protection
- Provides anti-malware protections, Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Attack Surface Reduction (ASR), and web-based protections.
- Helps defend against common threats such as Ransomware, Phishing and malicious websites.
Changes to Expect
During the Transition to Microsoft Defender
As university-managed computers are migrated to Microsoft Defender (currently planned for May - August 2022), you may be prompted to reboot your computer to finish configuring Microsoft Defender.
If applications or websites you need to use are blocked by Defender, please contact your area's IT Administrator so we can work to resolve issues.
Information for Personally Owned Computers
As we transition away from Sophos Endpoint Protection, Sophos Home will no longer be provided by the university.
- For personally-owned computers running windows, we recommend using the version of Microsoft Defender that is built into Windows already for personal use (no further action is necessary).
- For personally owned computers running Mac OS or Linux, you may continue to use Sophos Home for personal use, or choose from other free anti virus solutions.
Exact dates subject to change. More information coming soon.
Jan. - Mar. 2022
- Configured and tested infrastructure needed to manage Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.
- Planned migration of devices from Sophos.
Apr. - May 2022
Test software configurations and migration process.
May - Aug. 2022
Migrate endpoints from Sophos to Defender for Endpoint
Sept. - Oct. 2022
Complete all migrations to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint