On This Page:
- There is currently no automated file transfer from Box to Google Drive.
- In February 2021, Google announced the transition to Google Workspace for Education and a new storage policy. Starting in July 2022, Google will implement a new storage model, which likely will involve a more restrictive storage limit for individual Google accounts. UMass Amherst Information Technology (IT) is evaluating how to best position the new Workspace service for the campus community.
- If you store a substantial amount of data in your Box account or already have large files across your UMass Amherst Google services (e.g., Drive, Photos, Gmail), we strongly recommend that you choose Microsoft OneDrive over Google Drive for your Box files. This will reduce the possibility of another transition in 2022 when Google Drive may no longer meet your online storage needs.
- Check the classification and compliance requirements for the university data you store in Box. Microsoft OneDrive is recommended for data with research, administrative, contractual, regulatory, and legal compliance requirements. Google Workspace for Education services are approved for student data. If you have questions, please email email@example.com to coordinate a risk assessment and determine whether Google Drive is the appropriate storage solution for your data.
- Wait until the automated transfer of your files from Box to OneDrive is complete (we will notify you).
- Download your BoxData folder from OneDrive. The download should be a .zip file which will reduce the number of steps you need to take to move your data to Google Drive. Note: Data security considerations may apply depending on the type of data and how your device is configured.
- Upload your BoxData .zip file to Google Drive. Update the sharing permissions for your files as needed.
- Download your Box files and folders. Note: Data security considerations may apply depending on the type of data and how your device is configured.
- Upload your Box data to Google Drive and update the sharing permissions for your files as needed. You have several avenues available:
Need more help? See the Google Drive help center.