Box Secure Online Storage, our legacy online file storage and sharing service, is scheduled to be retired on June 30, 2021, due to a dramatic cost increase and the end of unlimited storage.
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021 - anticipated date for retiring Box.
- Week of April 12, 2021 - Move from Box to OneDrive begins. You will be notified when your account is scheduled to be moved. Files remain available in Box while being copied to OneDrive.
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - Data transfer pilot announced.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - Box retirement announced.
- Your Box files will be automatically copied to your UMass Amherst OneDrive account. Your files are available in Box during the move.
- Delete or transfer ownership of files you no longer need.
- Rename files to avoid special characters in filenames. Special characters not allowed in OneDrive file names will be replaced during the move.
- Check your computer configuration to avoid problems during the move.
You may consider Google Drive for your Box files. Before making a final decision, here is some information you need to know about Google Drive.
- There is currently no automatic file transfer from Box to Google Drive.
- Starting July 2022, Google will implement changes to Google Drive, which may involve storage restrictions.
- Check the classification and compliance requirements for the university data you store in Box. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a risk assessment for your data.
What is OneDrive?
What is Google Drive?
- Move from Box to OneDrive Begins Next Week - April 7, 2021 - Email # 5 to Box user community - April 7, 2021
- Box Transition Updates - March 31, 2021 - email # 4 to Box user community - March 31, 2021
- Box Transition Updates - March 24, 2021 - email # 3 to Box user community - March 24, 2021
- Box Transition Updates - March 17, 2021 - email # 2 to Box user community - March 17, 2021
- Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - email # 1 to Box user community - February 3, 2021
- IT Service Transition: Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - campus-wide announcement - December 8, 2020