Box Secure Online Storage, our legacy online file storage and sharing service, is scheduled to be retired on July 26, 2021, due to a dramatic cost increase and the end of unlimited storage.
This spring, your Box data will be automatically moved to Microsoft OneDrive, UMass Amherst's preferred online storage platform. You may also choose to move your Box data manually to Google Drive.
Updated June 22, 2021
Tuesday, June 1 - Monday, July 12, 2021
- You can now review your Box files in the BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Friday, July 9, 2021, 9 p.m.: Your Box account will become read-only. You can still download and preview Box files.
- Friday, July 9, 9 p.m. - Monday, July 12, 2021, 6 a.m.: To allow for the final sync, do not make any changes to your BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Report any missing files or folders to email@example.com.
- Can't see the Shared screen in OneDrive? Let us know.
- Steps you can and cannot take during the review period.
Monday, July 12 - Monday, July 26, 2021
- Monday, July 12, 2021: You can edit or move content from the BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Your Box account is read-only. You and your collaborators can no longer make changes to content stored in Box.
We are here
Monday, July 26, 2021
Anticipated Date for Retiring Box
- Box accounts will transition to Box Lite, a limited version of Box, to enable access to Box documents shared with you by colleagues at other institutions, pending data security guidelines.
- Create and save new projects in OneDrive or Google Drive.
Other Events & Important Dates
- Week of April 12, 2021 - Move from Box to OneDrive begins. Files remain available in Box while being copied to OneDrive.
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - Data transfer pilot announced.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - Box retirement announced.
About OneDrive & Other Online Storage Options
Switch to OneDrive Automatically
- Your Box files will be automatically copied to your UMass Amherst OneDrive account. Your files are available in Box during the move.
- Delete or transfer ownership of files you no longer need.
- Rename files to avoid special characters in filenames. Special characters not allowed in OneDrive file names will be replaced during the move.
- Check your computer configuration to avoid problems during the move.
Move to Google Drive Manually
You may consider Google Drive for your Box files. Before making a final decision, here is some information you need to know about Google Drive.
- There is currently no automatic file transfer from Box to Google Drive.
- Starting July 2022, Google will implement changes to Google Drive, which may involve storage restrictions.
- Check the classification and compliance requirements for the university data you store in Box. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a risk assessment for your data.
What is OneDrive?
What is Google Drive?
Reminder: Box Retires Mon., 7/26 - July 24, 2021
Reminder: Box Retires Mon., 7/26 - July 22, 2021
Box to OneDrive Transition Updates - July 15, 2021
- Today: Access & Use Your Box Data in OneDrive - July 12, 2021
Today: Your Box Account Becomes Read-Only - July 9, 2021
- This Friday: Your Box Account Becomes Read-Only - July 8, 2021
- Box Transition: Report & Resolve Shared Page Issues - July 3, 2021
- Box Transition Extended to Mon., 7/26 - June 23, 2021
- Box Retirement - Learning Options & Transition Details - June 16, 2021
- Box Retirement Timeline Extended By Two Weeks to Fri., 7/16 - June 10, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition: Review Your Box Files in OneDrive - June 3, 2021
- Box Transition: Microsoft OneDrive & Teams - May 27, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Timeline - May 20, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: Shared Screen Issues - May 13, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: What do the OneDrive icons mean? - May 6, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: Instructor-Led Training - April 29, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Updates: BoxData Folder - April 22, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition: 3 Things You Need to Know - April 15, 2021 - Email # 6 to Box user community - April 15, 2021
- Move from Box to OneDrive Begins Next Week - April 7, 2021 - Email # 5 to Box user community - April 7, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Prepare for the Move - March 31, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Google Workspace for Education - March 24, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Preliminary Timeline - March 17, 2021
- Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - February 3, 2021
- IT Service Transition: Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - campus-wide announcement - December 8, 2020
Sign up for extra weekly updates to get additional information about the service transition.
Read previous updates - Box Transition: Weekly Updates Archive
- Online File Storage & Collaboration at UMass Amherst
- Online File Storage Platforms Compared
- Where can I store or share my data? UMass Amherst Service Categorizations