Box Secure Online Storage, our legacy online file storage and sharing service, is scheduled to be retired on July 16, 2021, due to a dramatic cost increase and the end of unlimited storage.
June 10, 2021
Tuesday, June 1 - Sunday, June 27, 2021
- You can now review your Box files in the BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Friday, June 25, 2021, 9 p.m.: Your Box account will become read-only. You can still download and preview Box files.
- Friday, June 25, 9 p.m. - Monday, June 28, 2021, 6 a.m.: Do not make any changes to your BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Report any missing files or folders to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can't see the Shared screen in OneDrive? Let us know.
- Steps you can and cannot take during the review period.
Monday, June 28 - Friday, July 16, 2021
- Monday, June 28, 2021: You can edit or move content from the BoxData folder in OneDrive.
- Your Box account is read-only. You and your collaborators can no longer make changes to content stored in Box.
Friday, July 16, 2021
Anticipated Date for Retiring Box
- Box Lite, a limited version of Box, will be available to access Box documents shared with you by colleagues at other institutions, pending data security guidelines.
- Create and save new projects in OneDrive or Google Drive.
Other Events & Important Dates
- Week of April 12, 2021 - Move from Box to OneDrive begins. Files remain available in Box while being copied to OneDrive.
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021 - Data transfer pilot announced.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - Box retirement announced.
About OneDrive & Other Online Storage Options
- Your Box files will be automatically copied to your UMass Amherst OneDrive account. Your files are available in Box during the move.
- Delete or transfer ownership of files you no longer need.
- Rename files to avoid special characters in filenames. Special characters not allowed in OneDrive file names will be replaced during the move.
- Check your computer configuration to avoid problems during the move.
You may consider Google Drive for your Box files. Before making a final decision, here is some information you need to know about Google Drive.
- There is currently no automatic file transfer from Box to Google Drive.
- Starting July 2022, Google will implement changes to Google Drive, which may involve storage restrictions.
- Check the classification and compliance requirements for the university data you store in Box. Email email@example.com to coordinate a risk assessment for your data.
What is OneDrive?
What is Google Drive?
- Box Retirement Timeline Extended By Two Weeks to Fri., 7/16 - June 10, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition: Review Your Box Files in OneDrive - June 3, 2021
- Box Transition: Microsoft OneDrive & Teams - May 27, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Timeline - May 20, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: Shared Screen Issues - May 13, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: What do the OneDrive icons mean? - May 6, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Update: Instructor-Led Training - April 29, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition Updates: BoxData Folder - April 22, 2021
- Box to OneDrive Transition: 3 Things You Need to Know - April 15, 2021 - Email # 6 to Box user community - April 15, 2021
- Move from Box to OneDrive Begins Next Week - April 7, 2021 - Email # 5 to Box user community - April 7, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Prepare for the Move - March 31, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Google Workspace for Education - March 24, 2021
- Box Transition Updates: Preliminary Timeline - March 17, 2021
- Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - February 3, 2021
- IT Service Transition: Box Secure Online Storage to Retire in 2021 - campus-wide announcement - December 8, 2020
- Online File Storage & Collaboration at UMass Amherst
- Online File Storage Platforms Compared
- Where can I store or share my data? UMass Amherst Service Categorizations