UMass Amherst graduates and students who leave the university in good standing have access to all IT services for 6 months and university email at no cost for one year after leaving.
Account services are automatically extended for members of the Armed Forces who were active students or employees at the time of their deployment. The extension is only valid for the duration of these individuals' active duty.
Important Computing Reminders
Whether you are graduating or simply taking the next semester off, consider these items before leaving campus:
Back up Your Files
Make copies of all the important files you have stored using one of our services. These may include term papers posted on your personal website (if you have one), university Google Mail emails, Google Drive files, and Google Calendar data.
- Download Box files to your computer or other storage device.
- Export your blog to your computer or other storage device. Blogs F.A.Q.
- Download personal website files to your computer or other storage device. For instructions on using SFTP software to connect to the IT web hosting server, see: Web Hosting: File Backups
- Download emails from your university Google Mail account. See Download Important Emails below.
- Download important files from your Google Drive.
- Export any Google Calendar data you have created.
- Migrate the contents of any of your UMass Create domains.
Download Important Emails
Upon account deactivation, your emails will be deleted. Follow the steps below to hold onto these important emails by using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or Apple Mail.
1. Setup Google Mail in:
2. Export/Import Emails from Google Mail to:
- Microsoft Outlook: Export, Import
- Mozilla Thunderbird (includes Export & Import)
- Apple Mail (includes Export & Import)
Get a Transcript
Use SPIRE to print an unofficial transcript or order an official transcript to be delivered to yourself or a third party. You may order an official electronic copy of your transcript for $2.50 or have a paper copy of your transcript sent to a third party for $4.50. The University also provides free transcripts for pickup at the University Registrar’s office, and free delivery to on-campus departments.
Information about ordering official transcripts can be found here: http://www.umass.edu/registrar/transcripts/
Update your Contact Information
Update your contact information in SPIRE, including your mailing address and email address. These are the addresses that the University will use to send you all future communications, including your diploma.
Note: Campus Alerts subscribers who are temporarily leaving the University are encouraged to unsubscribe (simply remove your cell phone number from the Cell Phone Info page, and click Save). Graduating students are automatically unsubscribed.
Save your New SPIRE Logon Information
In the next six months, we’ll send your new SPIRE logon information to your University email address. Use this information to access SPIRE after your IT Account is de-activated (to print more transcripts, update your contact information, etc.).