Grant management is complicated. ISSR is here to help.
Social science faculty interested in sponsored research can request free assistance in completing applications for grants, contracts, and fellowships; navigating submission processes with the University and sponsoring organizations; award set-up; and managing post-award activities.
This July, a new proposal and award management system, Kuali Research, will replace SmartGrant for proposal submissions and award management, and replace e-Protocol for human (IRB) and animal (IACUC) subjects, as well as provide a new online disclosure process for Conflicts of Interest.
Implementation of this new system will affect the timeline for preparation and processing of grant proposals. Faculty and graduate students seeking assistance should plan well ahead of time, and submit grant support requests at least 6 weeks prior to sponsor deadline. Proposals with sponsor deadlines of July 1-10 should be considered to have a deadline of June 14 to be reviewed and submitted on time by OPAS, as both SmartGrant and Kuali will not be in operation during the first 10 days of July.
To receive ISSR support for your proposal submission, notify us at least one month in advance of the sponsor deadline to allow time for preparation, determination of submission timeline, review, and coordination with internal and online application systems.
Pre-Award Grant Support
- Managing cross-college or interdisciplinary collaborative grant proposals
- Reviewing sponsor guidelines
- Establishing timelines for completing proposals on time
- Navigating University policies and procedures
- Preparing budgets and budget justifications
- Uploading documents to the University's online Grant Application Management System (SmartGrant) and sponsor systems such as Grants.gov and the National Science Foundation's FastLane
- Routing electronic approval paperwork
- Serving as liaison with the University's Office of Research Development, Research Business Manager Network, Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations, and other on-campus resources
Post-Award Grant Support
- Pre-establishing accounts and setting up new awards
- Guiding new principal investigators
- Reviewing project budgets and expenditures
- Preparing reports as needed and assisting with award close-out