Grant management is complicated. ISSR is here to help.
Faculty in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences who are interested in sponsored research can request free assistance in completing applications for grants, contracts, and fellowships; navigating submission processes with the University and sponsoring organizations; award set-up; and managing post-award activities. Social science faculty in other colleges should consult with their college's grants staff.
To receive ISSR support for your proposal submission, reach out 6 to 8 weeks before the sponsor deadline to allow time for preparation, review, and coordination across offices required for grant submission.
Our staff provide grant support to faculty in CSBS. Our goal is to serve all, but when the volume of proposals exceeds our capacity, we urge faculty to reach out to the University's Proposal Support Services.
We encourage all faculty to ask to be added to the ISSR Funding Fridays Moodle, which offers information and examples for every element of grant-seeking. Please read the CSBS grant proposal submission process and policy of distributing indirect costs
ISSR Pre-Award Grant Support
- Managing cross-college or interdisciplinary collaborative grant proposals (including advance discussions with OPAS for complex proposals)
- Reviewing sponsor guidelines
- Establishing timelines for completing proposals on time
- Navigating university policies and procedures, including pre-OPAS proposal reviews (critical analysis of the administrative components of a proposal prior to submitting to OPAS).
- Preparing budgets and budget justifications
- Uploading documents to the University's online Grant Application Management System (Kuali) and sponsor systems such as Grants.gov and the National Science Foundation's Research.gov
- Routing electronic approval paperwork
Grants Support Contacts
Faculty from the Departments of Anthropology, Communication, Economics, Landscape Architecture & Regional Planning, Public Policy & Administration, and Resource Economics (Post Award):
Contact Katie Smith.
Faculty from ISSR and the Departments of Journalism, Political Science, Resource Economics (Pre & Post-Award), Social Thought & Political Economy, and Sociology:
Contact Carrie Morrison Penland.
In the case of limited support availability at ISSR:
The Office of Research and Engagement employs experienced staff to support proposal preparation and submission.
To request Research & Engagement assistance use this form.
ISSR Post-Award Grant Support
- Working with the PI and their department's administrative staff to develop a post-award plan, which includes award set-up, pre-establishment of grant accounts, and subcontract set-up
- Working with the PI to set up a clear division of labor in their department for post-award tasks.
- Helping PIs to assemble the package of Just-in-Time modifications requested by the sponsor (budget reductions, for example)
- Helping with rebudgeting requests
- Assist with an award close-out management plan
Other ISSR Grant Support