Steven Boutcher is Executive Director of the Center for Employment Equity (CEE) and Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Social Science Research. CEE is a new research center that conducts research on workplace equity, disseminating results widely to scholars, the public, policymakers, government agencies, and the media. As the Executive Director, Steve is responsible for overseeing the daily life of CEE, in collaboration with faculty directors Lee Badgett, Fidan Ana Kurtulus, and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. His own research has focused on the relationship between law, organizations, and social change. Much of his research has focused on law and social movements and he has written extensively about the institutionalization of pro bono practice in large law firms. He is currently co-PI on a large grant from the U.S. Department of Labor focusing on sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination in the workplace.
Prior to his current position at ISSR, Steve was an Assistant Professor of Sociology and Public Policy at UMass. Steve holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from The Ohio State University, and a Master’s and doctoral degree in Sociology from the University of California, Irvine.
- Boutcher, Steven A., Anna Raup-Kounovsky, and Carroll Seron. “Financing Legal Education through Student Loans: Results from a Quasi-Experiment in Tuition Remission.” Paper accepted at the Journal of Legal Education.
- Boutcher, Steven A., J. Craig Jenkins, and Nella Van Dyke. Forthcoming. “Strain, Ethnic Competition, and Power Devaluation: White Supremacist Protest in the U.S. 1947-1997.” Social Movement Studies.
- Boutcher, Steven A. and Holly J. McCammon. Forthcoming. “Social Movements and Litigation.” In Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Social Movements, edited by David A. Snow, Sarah A. Soule, Hanspeter Kriesi, and Holly J. McCammon.
- Boutcher, Steven A. 2017. “Private Law Firms and the Public Good: The Organizational and Institutional Determinants of Law Firm Pro Bono Participation, 1993-2005.” Law & Social Inquiry 42: 543-564.
- Boutcher, Steven A. 2016. “The Growth of Large Law Firm Pro Bono Programs.” In Beyond Elite Law: Access to Civil Justice for Americans of Average Means, edited by Samuel Estreicher and Joy Radice. New York: Cambridge University Press.