The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) is seeking applications for an advanced graduate student to join our staff of graduate consultants for our Research Consulting service for the spring semester of 2016, 5 hours per week with with flexible scheduling. International students, women, students of color and students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The role of an ISSR Consultant is to assist students, faculty, and other researchers in the UMass community with their scholarly and applied research projects. The primary job responsibilities are to staff our lab, respond to walk-in and email requests for assistance, and perform general administrative duties. In addition, we expect each consultant to prepare and deliver at least two workshops (per semester) on a research methods and/or analytical software topic.
We are particularly interested in doctoral students with expertise in advanced quantitative, statistical methods OR qualitative methods.
For applicants with expertise in qualitative methods, the desired qualifications include:
- A minimum of intermediate knowledge of NVivo for Windows or demonstrated ability to self-teach
- Familiarity with NVivo for Mac, and NVivo’s additional features such as visualization features (e.g., word trees, word clouds), NCapture for webpages, Framework Matrices, group queries, and reports; using NVivo for literature reviews (and importing bibliographic data) will be considered as bonus skills.
For applicants with expertise in quantitative methods, the desired qualifications include a minimum two out of the following skill sets:
- A minimum of intermediate proficiency in R
- A minimum of intermediate proficiency in LaTeX
- Knowledge of data mining or social network analysis techniques
- Proficiency or knowledge in one or more coding language (e.g., Python)
A friendly, patient, and helpful demeanor, with a genuine interest in assisting others, and excellent communication skills are required for all applicants. A typical appointment is for 5 hours a week during the academic semester, depending upon need and availability. The position does not qualify for tuition remission or full health benefits, but would make a great source of supplemental income to a TA or RA position. Our past Methodology Consultants have done very well in the job market after completing their PhDs; having this experience on your CV is an additional benefit.
The ISSR Methodology Consultants are funded by support from the Graduate School.
To apply please submit a cover letter stating your research interests and scope and depth of methodological expertise (including a list of past graduate methods coursework w/grades or a transcript). Also include contact information for at least two faculty references who can speak to your research abilities.
Interested students should send a letter of interest, CV, and names of references to Dr. Laras Sekarasih, ISSR Research Methodologist, at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2015.