Sponsorship Policies

Sponsorship Policies

This information is provided for administrators at UMass Amherst. Please read below.

The International Programs Office (IPO) must comply with federal regulations regarding the employment of foreign nationals (non-United States citizens and non-permanent residents). It is important to ensure that each foreign national employed or on academic appointment at UMass Amherst, either paid or unpaid, has an immigration status that permits the affiliation or has been granted appropriate permission by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

  1. Each UMass Amherst Department/Laboratory/Center has a primary liaison, typically the Grants Coordinator or Administrative Officer, through whom all requests to appoint/invite a foreign national must be channeled. 
    This department contact is familiar with the UMass Amherst personnel appointment system, IPO procedures and non-immigrant visa types and can be very helpful to faculty. This person will act as the liaison between the IPO and the faculty member inviting a foreign national to teach or conduct research at the University.

  2. Role of the International Programs Office
    The IPO has been designated by the University to handle applications and information regarding visas for foreign national staff. The IPO is UMass Amherst’s liaison with immigration authorities regarding this population as well as our international student body. The IPO is authorized by the Department of State to offer J-1 visa sponsorship in certain specific categories. The IPO is the only authorized petitioner to USCIS for H-1B, E-3, TN, and O-1 visas.  Permanent Residency applications based on UMass Amherst employment are filed by authorized outside legal counsel in coordination with the IPO and the Office of General Counsel.

Please Note: UMass Amherst does not provide visa sponsorship for technical, administrative, temporary, or non-specialized positions.