Requesting Sponsorship

Requesting Sponsorship

J-1 visas are normally used for visiting scholars doing research with home country funding, post doctoral research associates, research fellows, or lecturers. This visa category is NOT for tenure track professors. Please consult IPO if you are unsure of the visa category that your scholar should use to enter the U.S.

Before you request iStart access, designate a person(s) within your department who will process all of the J scholar visa requests. In most cases, this will be an administrative person and not the sponsoring faculty member.

If you are the designated person(s) in your department and are inviting a scholar on a J visa then you will need to start the process through our online iStart system. Log In with your UMASS username and password and choose Amherst as your campus. You will receive an email once your request has been approved.

If you already have access to the iStart system please login and go to Departmental Services and add a new person.

Refer to the guide for departmental users for detailed instructions.

If you have any questions of problems with the E-Forms please contact Nichole Hunley.